1638672405260.png

1638672416644.png

1638672428823.png

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
So why do people eat st Louis style ribs? There is si much nasty shit in them
Memphis bbq prefers back ribs. Ive cooked a lot of both and Im in same boat for a couple reasons.

1. Cartilage is fuckin gross. Even if you aggressively cut a spare rib, you'll still wind up with it. Ive tried everything to help rib tips, its just a ton of labor for some just okay meat. Unless munching on Cartilage is cool with you.

2. Cook time. Always takes me north of 6 hours to render the fat properly at 225-250. Getting into pork butt territory time-wise. Pork butt > ribs

3. Demembraning. Fucking chore on spare ribs. Normally 2 pieces if lucky. Plus that weird flap meat to trim.

4. Texture, pure personal preference here, but i like meaty back ribs. Spares, even trimmed have globs of fat in them.

People would argue, more fat, and more flavor (compared to back ribs). They arent wrong. More fat also means more time to cook to render fat down. Like chuck roast or pork butt, both id rather have than spare ribs considering cook time.

They also cut straight and beautiful for serving.

Serving size used to be slanted toward spare ribs. Last couple times at Sam's club the back ribs ive gotten have been massive. Pork industry is breeding fat back big THICC boi's is my conclusion. Or Traeger-mania and demand for easier to bbq meats conspiracy theory i have. UFO sightings are up 37% even though we all know theyre coming through transdimensional travel through the mariana trench. Just facts.

I normally go with back ribs when i bbq. Audience here doesnt like rib tips and cartilage. Spares also mean i am up 2 hours earlier schedule than back ribs. LAME.

Id rather do back ribs or pork belly burnt ends than spare ribs. Just my preference.

That said, I'll probably bbq some spare ribs next weekend and thoroughly enjoy them.

Reactions: ragingclue

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Yeah, that's yet another reason why I cook nearly all my own meals rather than eat out. I have so much more control over what I eat if I make it myself. I have some spare ribs in the freezer that I will trim and enjoy the ribs one way and the scraps another. Can't cook them together, IMO, because they take different methods and cooking times. If you cook the scraps really low and slow by themselves, they can be super tender and tasty but cooking them as part of the ribs doesn't give the same results.

strtcar

Regular
Oct 28, 2007
Did you buy that pork belly at Sams or Costco? I was at one or the other a couple of weeks ago. I was eye balling it.

Also do you mind sharing what you did?

costco
cube up into about 1x1
salt and rub with favorite rub
250 for 2.5hrs in smoke
put into a aluminum pan with about 1 stick butter, drizzle of honey, and favoriate bbq sauce, cover with foil for 90 mins more at 250.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Living in Chicago it was always that USDA Prime Beef. Down here in the Appalachian's it's that Black Angus BEEF.

Last week at the Farmers Market a Gentlemen sold me on a Wagyu Ribeye. I recently seasoned it and it's goin on the Weber tomorrow. I've never had Wagyu thus its exciting.

What was the cost per pound?

Thread Info