Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
How do you like the Ooni? I hear some say it’s a pain in the ass.
I absolutely love mine. I have the Ooni Karu, so it is wood fire only. I have been using kiln dried oak and olive wood. I bought it as a one trick pony for pizzas, and havent been disappointed. I got a family full of pizza snobs, and it always goes over very well with them.

I can see why somebody would say that, it takes about 15 min to get up to temp (i like 650-700 degrees on the stone and a nice flame over the top). But between making the pizzas and maintaining the fire and rotating it, its pretty busy, but manageable. It does help if you have two people.

That doesnt go for all Ooni's, i could get an adapter and it could run on propane. I think the Ooni pro comes standard with it? For sure that would cut the errand of using it in half I'd say, but i dont really mind maintaining the firebox.

Reactions: Milhouse

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
17lbs of pork shoulder I smoked last week for the boys birthday.

PXL_20201009_052252413.jpg

PXL_20201009_052718885.jpg

PXL_20201009_051253000.jpg

PXL_20201008_232455725.jpg

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Was a bit too infirm. This cut I think will like to be about 135* instead of the 130* I had it at. I was supposed to take it out around 5pm. But work blew up cause a director was having a coronary. Thankfully, Sous Vide meant I could leave it in the bath for another hour. Thank god for temp controlled cooking.

Wish I seared it longer, but I've discovered that my stove top is really fucking inconsistent with temps so I was afraid of overcooking it on the pan like i've done with a few cuts. I need to invest in a laser temp gauge so I know exactly where the pan sits before I drop a slab of meat on it.

I only seared it for 10s a side, with some edge time to get those done.

I'm using a cast iron pan, but part of me wonders if I should buy a pan with a thicker base so it holds more temp and stays steadier.

I have LOTS from that cut now. I picked up a giant slab and all totaled it weighed about 7lbs before i started portioning it out. I seasoned most of the cuts with just salt, pepper, garlic powder. But on a few of them I used different rubs to experiment.

Reactions: Flyn

Thread Info