Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Pork belly, beans, and back ribs today at work. Bonus perk was i got to steam clean the WSM the night before.
20191231_120110.jpeg
20191231_100231.jpeg
20191231_095757.jpeg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i kinda want to get this for my weber kettle and ditch my traeger cuz yolo

1577972715458.png

1577972728708.png

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
i kinda want to get this for my weber kettle and ditch my traeger cuz yolo

View attachment 47534

View attachment 47535
Very interesting, please buy it and report back.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL

^for those of you in "Meat Street", you've seen the stuff he distro's. For those who haven't, lemme know if you need that FB invite for meat raffles.

Additionally, this is the pellet brand I've settled on about a year ago. Smoke flavor is there for sure. https://cookinpellets.com/

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I love Meat Street. Especially when I win packages. The meat has been incredible.

I am surprised after all this time their site isn't fully up yet. He sent me pics of the food they had shot for the site. As well as told me how it was going to work. Hopefully it isn't much longer.

Have you helped PJ with his lack of smoke flavor? I know a while back he was complaining he wasn't getting much smoke. But he was also using wood that was not very strong flavored. Apple, pecan, and a mix like that.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
I love Meat Street. Especially when I win packages. The meat has been incredible.

I am surprised after all this time their site isn't fully up yet. He sent me pics of the food they had shot for the site. As well as told me how it was going to work. Hopefully it isn't much longer.

Have you helped PJ with his lack of smoke flavor? I know a while back he was complaining he wasn't getting much smoke. But he was also using wood that was not very strong flavored. Apple, pecan, and a mix like that.

He refuses to change from his super discounted Menards pellets so he can EAD.

• Haha
Reactions: DEEZUZ

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I haven't played anything on meat street in a while. Today I played after you posted. And I won. lol Not a huge lot like you had. But my odds playing have been pretty good. I'm way ahead of the game for sure. Meat Street FTW!

without context, forgetting which thread this post was in, i read this kinda like this.

giphy.gif

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Wonder if I should give these a shot.

I know you said you had issues with smoke flavor with the pellet grill. I think you said you used strong flavor woods like hickory and mesquite.

I wonder if it is more of the temp and clean "blue" smoke issues. Or not enough moisture in the meat & surface. I read an article a while back and it said moisture is the key to getting the smoke flavor in meats. They smoked meats side by side, same smoker, same temp, same smoke, etc., with one being dryer and one having moisture added during the cook. They said night and day difference between the two. Maybe it is something to that effect? Or multiple issues working against the flavor?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Oh, they also said moisture content of wood helps the smoke penetrate the meat better. Think about how you use a wet wood plank for fish.

Using pellets I don't think you have a way to add moisture to them by soaking them or anything. It seems like a feed clog waiting to happen. So maybe there is a way to add moisture to the cooker via a wet piece of wood also in the smoker? Increasing the moisture content of the cooker? Just thinking out loud.

Thread Info