rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
whoa.

that sounds awesome.

any good reasonably priced dehydrators?

Yep. Most are around $30-$50 or so.

For the DIYer, you can also make your own out of some pieces of plywood, a 120vac computer fan (somewhere around 30-40cfm) and an incandescent light bulb socket that would need to hold a 40watt bulb. I can give recommendations on the fan, etc, since I wired one up before with parts from Amazon. We personally use a Biltong King, which was given to us as a Christmas present this last year while in SA, but we also had to convert it from 220v to 110v when we came back, which be too much for the person just starting out.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
anyone use an electric smoker before? Curious how well they work vs a traditional one. Really only allowed to have propane grills where I'm at. of I was on the ground floor with a concrete patio, I'd tell them to get fucked.

I have one. And pretty sure you have seen it in action.

I'll use the E for long smokes, aka brisket,shoulders.

I use my kettle for flank and ribs.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Yep. Most are around $30-$50 or so.

For the DIYer, you can also make your own out of some pieces of plywood, a 120vac computer fan (somewhere around 30-40cfm) and an incandescent light bulb socket that would need to hold a 40watt bulb. I can give recommendations on the fan, etc, since I wired one up before with parts from Amazon. We personally use a Biltong King, which was given to us as a Christmas present this last year while in SA, but we also had to convert it from 220v to 110v when we came back, which be too much for the person just starting out.

i think i'd probably just buy one if it's that cheap...

link to any?

I could build one too lol

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Some of the best potatoes to make on the grill...chop up about 5 medium sized potatoes, 1yellow onion and throw it in a tin foil packet. Put some butter, salt, pepper, drizzle of olive oil, and sprinkle the top with chopped garlic out of a jar (a lot of garlic is good IMO). Seal that packet up and put it on indirect heat on the grill. Give it 20-30 depending on heat and amount of ingredients and enjoy some deliciousness. Direct heat can be used for some browner/crispier potatoes. My old lady loves this recipe.

giving this a shot in a few minutes here, grilling up a bunch of chicken as well

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
We often use a similar recipe for chopped potatoes. I oil a grill pan (has smaller holes for fish, veggies or chopped potatoes so they don't fall into the grill), add the chopped potatoes, season with whatever is handy, Lawry's Seasoning Salt and pepper works well, spray with olive oil and cook over a medium high direct flame. Once the bottom browns, I flip the potatoes over and do the other side. If the potatoes start browning too fast, I turn the flame down or finish them with indirect. Good stuff and really easy to make.

Drizzle with a blue cheese dressing, a sour cream based sauce or just shredded cheese (I like cheddar) if you want to add some more complex flavors.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
tossed an onion, three potatoes, a glob of butter, some herb infused olive oil, sea salt, fresh ground pepper, and a ton of crushed garlic in.

had a package of drumsticks in the fridge, covered them in buffalo sauce then dunked them in some bread crumbs and crushed garlic. we'll see how this goes

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Bonar achieved. the chicken is awesome, just a little kick, tons of garlic which I love, and the breadcrumbs charred up nicely giving it some good texture

aba2ahyz.jpg

y9ygy5en.jpg

Thread Info