And so it begins

20230529_112735.jpg

20230529_120245.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Cant do it, lol. One of our babysitters used to make that shit and brussel sprouts and force us to eat it.
Scarred me for life lol. I havent eaten either since I was probably 10yrs old lol
Air fryer raw chopped bacon olive oil sp garlic salt. Until blackened. Then toss in maple syrup.

Brussels I mean. Half them.

Reactions: Shawn1112

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Had a taste for ribs and a local store had a good deal on them, picked up 4 slabs and went to work!

I don’t have a grill, I have a blackstone, which would make this an interesting cooking experience.

Found a few recipes/ how-to’s on the Internet saying it can’t be done and it would be a waste to do.

So the prep was easy, started the blackstone and got it super hot, while that was pre heating I coated the ribs with a mustard, added some spices / rub and cut them into half slabs as I felt it would be easier to manage.

I Seared the ribs meat side down for 4-5 minutes, flipped them rib side down for another 4-5 minutes. Took them off the grill, wrapped them in tin foil, gave them a wipe down in some butter, packaged them up and turned the blackstone down to the lowest setting.

I use wire racks a lot when cooking in the blackstone, so I used three racks placed the foiled 1/2 slabs on the racks meat side down for 90 minutes. I also added a small container of water to add some moisture in cooking area. After the 90 minutes was up I filled them over and cooked them for another 90 minutes still in the foil.

After that 90 minutes was up, I removed the foil, cranked the heat, placed back on the wire racks and let them heat up some and pull some moisture off the ribs. Taking them out of the foil the were super tender and and had to be careful not to break up the slabs.

After a few minutes of cooking then at high heat added some bbq sauce and cooked for a few more to ad the bbq crust on the ribs. Pulled them off the grill and let them rest for another 10 or so as we set the table etc…

They actually turned out really good, not really fall off the bone, but enough where you still needed to pull on the meat to get it off the bone.

Only issue was the underside of the ribs got a little more charred then I would like to have them, but still good.

Don’t fear the blackstone

IMG_0120.jpeg

IMG_0122.jpeg

IMG_0123.jpeg

IMG_0125.jpeg

IMG_0126.jpeg

IMG_0127.jpeg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I was going to do some charcoal cooking and was waiting for my son to get home. He came home with food so I'm doing a T bone on the Weber gas instead. Not worth charcoal for 1 steak. Amy already had some pork tenderloin I made on the Santa Maria a couple days ago. Everyone eating in their own time.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Also I have played with Temps too. Pellet smokers are junk though.
I saw a video the other day and thought of you. They basically cut a larger pork butt into smaller cuts to increase the surface area. More surface area would give you more opportunity for smoke to penetrate and offer more bark per cook. Maybe be worth a try that and see if you get results more along with what you are looking for

Reactions: DEEZUZ

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Our friends smoked a Turkey on Sunday. Holy Hell is this the way to do Turkey! Was so tender and juicy it was crazy.
I routinely smoke turkey breast and slice with the meat slicer. Very very unexpected, underrated, and inexpensive crowd pleaser. Turkey is a great meat for smoke flavor.

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
I gotta try a turkey on my offset smoker. Maybe after I cook some of the stuff in my freezers.
I really love to dry brine for a day and wrap and rest smothered in beef tallow. I love that it takes to whatever rub you put on it, very nicely. Im planning on a crushed black pepper and espresso one next weekend.

Reactions: Z28Camaro and Flyn

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
I really love to dry brine for a day and wrap and rest smothered in beef tallow. I love that it takes to whatever rub you put on it, very nicely. Im planning on a crushed black pepper and espresso one next weekend.
I would think duck fat would also be an interesting addition vs the tallow.

Reactions: MEATeorite

Thread Info