Jul 15, 2010
Sams club pork shoulder. 24 hours in the smoker. Was delish

IMG_4766.jpg

IMG_4768.jpg

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Looks like a 8-10lb shoulder, why so long?
It looks delicious
It was actually only about 20 hours of actual heat and I let it rest for 4 hours. But for whatever reason it took forever to hit 200* IT. My smoker for what ever reason always takes way longer for stuff to hit temps compared to the calculations

Reactions: Shawn1112

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
It was actually only about 20 hours of actual heat and I let it rest for 4 hours. But for whatever reason it took forever to hit 200* IT. My smoker for what ever reason always takes way longer for stuff to hit temps compared to the calculations
My guess is your temps are lower than you think. Put a probe near the meat to check.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I went to Winn Dixie because they had tri tip on sale this week for $6.99 lb. Picked up 4 of them. They had them marked as "picanha" but, from the shape of the meat, I think they are tri tips. IIRC, picanha is top sirloin cap and tri tip is bottom sirloin cap. Similar but not the same. I'm cooking one of them tomorrow on the Santa Maria. I'll find out for sure what it is then.

Reactions: Z28Camaro

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Who's grilling/smoking for Memorial Day and what?

Grilling
Hamburgers, Hotdogs and Chicken

Smoking (Overnight)
Pork Shoulder and Brisket Flat

I think that's all, still time to change or add to it
I might grill some arracherra, brats and dogs on Saturday
Have my guys kids HS Grad Party on Sunday and knowing the crowd that will be there (Mexicans). I'll more than likely be too damn hung over to do anything Monday lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Jamesv82

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
My girl has to work so looking like it'll be a one man party.
Been eyeing some "cuban hotdog" recipes so probably take the opportunity to grill some of those and have a few cold ones on the patio.
Never had them homemade, but have had them and I loved them. There was a spot on California and Division and another on Western and Potomac that used to sell them back in the late 90's. They were little grocery stores that also sold Cuban and Rican food.

Reactions: Caleb515

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Picanhas were on sale at Winn Dixie so I grabbed 4 of them. Froze 3 and sliced this one against the grain into 4 finger size steaks. Seasoned with Argentinian salt and put the steaks in a C shape on the rotisserie skewer. As the meat caramelized, I removed the skewer and sliced the outside off thin into a serving bowl. Then the skewer went back on the rotisserie to repeat until the meat was too thin to slice. This gave me the medium rare doneness with caramelization on every piece. Picanha, top sirloin cap, is the queen of steaks. It's as tender as filet mignon and has the flavor of a sirloin.

Amy made some noodles in a Bechamel cheese sauce and I made a Bearnaise sauce for the picanha. I cooked some tarragon corn on the Weber gas grill. My buddy said this was one of my top 5 meals ever. My son took the left over picanha to work and the chefs there were appreciative of the flavor. It's a bit labor intensive to keep removing the skewer and slicing but I think it's the best way to cook the picanha. You could also do it in regular steaks if you wanted to. Keep the fat cap on (I trimmed it to 1/4" or so). It's excellent when it gets caramelized. I wish I had a pic of the caramelized meat on the skewer but I was too busy with slicing and cooking plus running back and forth to the corn.

Pool's looking pretty good, huh? We're almost done with the lanai rehab. Screen guys will be at my house Tuesday and fence guys are coming on Wed.

20230527_182134.jpg
20230527_182750.jpg

20230527_192344.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
As I stated in another thread, I'm done trying to master ribs. Especially on the smoker. It's a fucking joke. I've played with Temps and different pellets and every method known to man. I end up with trash.

Today someone brought a rack for me to cook. But we didn't have 6 hours to wait.

I boiled them for 35-40 mins in salt pepper garlic water, patted dry then rubbed them with seasoning.

Then tossed them on hot grill, 15 ish mins each side, sauced and let em sit burners off for 20 mins...

Fanfuckingtastic
20230528_170852.jpg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
As I stated in another thread, I'm done trying to master ribs. Especially on the smoker. It's a fucking joke. I've played with Temps and different pellets and every method known to man. I end up with trash.

Today someone brought a rack for me to cook. But we didn't have 6 hours to wait.

I boiled them for 35-40 mins in salt pepper garlic water, patted dry then rubbed them with seasoning.

Then tossed them on hot grill, 15 ish mins each side, sauced and let em sit burners off for 20 mins...

Fanfuckingtastic
View attachment 164330
Have you tried them on your Weber with a smoke box? Imo ribs are very easy to grill/smoke. Not sure why you’re having issues. Are you burning them, not tender enough, no flavor, what’s the issue?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Have you tried them on your Weber with a smoke box? Imo ribs are very easy to grill/smoke. Not sure why you’re having issues. Are you burning them, not tender enough, no flavor, what’s the issue?
Yes I always have a smoke cage going along with.

They are always tough, plain, dry, etc and all of the above.

Wrapped, unwrapped, 321, bend test, toothpick test, w/e... Always shit.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Yes I always have a smoke cage going along with.

They are always tough, plain, dry, etc and all of the above.

Wrapped, unwrapped, 321, bend test, toothpick test, w/e... Always shit.
No shit, that’s crazy. I always do the 321 and they come out fall of the bone tender. I prefer them with a little bit of a bite, but everyone else prefers them to fall off the bone. I can do them on my Genesis with the same results as my smoker but with a little less smoke taste.

Thread Info