Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Do people just not buy covers for these things? I have a Weber Spirit that people bitch they rust out. I've had it almost 8 years and keep it covered. There's slight paint bubble on the base but no visible rust at all. My plan was to keep it 10 years then but a Genesis and move it to the chain.

My spirit lives outside under a Weber cover. 3 years and it still cleans up to almost like new with a simple green wipe down. Recteq stays under a cover in the garage. Too much electric shit for me to leave it outside. When my ship comes in I’ll tear out my current back patio and have an outdoor kitchen built.

It's pellet smoker right? I bet if you kept it under 300 and used just as smoker it would be fine. I know a lot of pellet smokers are markets as a swiss army knife but my opinion is if you use them just at smoking temps, they'll last longer. The smokefire I have has a bad reputation for jamming and having grease fires. I think most of that is caused by people searing and having all the grease drip down to the firebox. But I could be wrong, I have had no issues with mine.

I think most people having fires aren’t cleaning out the fire pot. The ash build up puts the fresh pellets at the level of the auger tube and it burns right to the hopper.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Did wings with 3 different sauces on the propane grill tonight. Tossed in corn starch, never disappoints.

F7F12A47-B46F-41D3-AED4-7F98A0548B1B.jpeg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i ordered one of these a little bit ago, should have it this weekend.

i love everything ninja puts out and having a smaller alternative to my charcoal weber summit seems enticing.

so it came friday and i tossed a pork shoulder on it on saturday. im super impressed for it's small size and how well it works.

it will not replace my charcoal summit weber of course but for something i can just set and forget or bring with me basically anywhere, im a big fan.

1675086030118.png

1675086047351.png

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Corn starch so they were crispy? Besides that, no dry rub, just sauced when they were done?
Yeah, the corn starch gives them a very crispy texture. It pulls the moisture out of the skin, you can see it as they grill. For the golden and parm garlic I did not season other than the corn starch. For buffalo I added Franks Red Hot seasoning to the corn starch. After grilling I tossed 2 in sauces and the 3rd in about 3tbsp of melted butter and a couple tsp of jarred garlic then coated with grated parm. I usually make dill pickle wings too and I add jarred dill to the corn starch for those since I don't sauce them.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Noob question: if you were to smoke a brisket and pork butt like the post above, more than one thing, at the same time, does it take even longer or is the same smoke time?
On my WSM, I have 2 grates and if I’m using both grates, one cooks a little faster, I just can’t recall which one right now.

When I had my pit barrel most of my food was hung so there was no difference.

Reactions: GLADIATOR

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
On my WSM, I have 2 grates and if I’m using both grates, one cooks a little faster, I just can’t recall which one right now.

When I had my pit barrel most of my food was hung so there was no difference.
Heat rises. Your top grate will cook faster/ run hotter then your middle grate thats a pain in the ass to get food in and out of.
The main wsm guy on here probably knows temp difference between the two grates. But meat definitely cooks slower on that middle grate.

Reactions: Shawn1112

rocco

Addict
Jan 19, 2012
Aurora, IL
What thermometers do you guys like to use? It seems they all read different. I’ve got a cheap old school thermometer I put in the smoker, along with a Meater probe in what I’m cooking and I’ve also got a ThermoPro instant read. The built in probe and thermostat on the Traeger seem to read too low so I never go by those.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
What thermometers do you guys like to use? It seems they all read different. I’ve got a cheap old school thermometer I put in the smoker, along with a Meater probe in what I’m cooking and I’ve also got a ThermoPro instant read. The built in probe and thermostat on the Traeger seem to read too low so I never go by those.
Below link is my go to, I’ve had 3 of them and swear by them. Ive only had 3 because I get drunk and leave them out when it rains lol. I also have the Meater and absolutely fucking hate it. I literally can’t walk 10’ away from it without losing the connection. I’ve tried everything people have told me to try and tried shit I’ve read. It just flat out sucks for me.

Reactions: rocco and Jamesv82

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012

Pork loin rolling now

20230205_131218.jpg

Jamesv82

Addict
TCG Premium
Mar 9, 2017
I have (2) of the 2-Channel and (1) 4-Channel Smoke X and the Thermapen One from ThermoWorks. Never had an issue wth the receiver even thru the house.

They also have a 4-Channel Bluetooth Signals, I just remember reading the issues of dropping signal when it first came out.

You can sign up for their emails, they always have a sale.

Reactions: Shawn1112 and rocco

Thread Info