Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Getting a late start. My guys woman had a grand opening for her shops. Bunch of my guys there. Liquor started flowing and just now got home.

AA9BA20D-73FF-48F1-9E55-814A70A6B39C.jpeg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I pulled the brisket when the fat rendered, the bark was firmly attached and the brisket hit the stall.

oGSwTyX.jpg

I wrapped it in butcher paper that I brushed wagyu tallow on. Let it cook to just over 200 when it became probe tender. After I got this pic, I brushed more wagyu on fresh butcher paper and wrapped it to rest for a couple hours.

qR6De1O.jpg

Different angle. It's beautiful, right?

kgM0lHa.jpg

Here's the wrapped brisket out on the counter to drop temp and rest. 2 hours is about minimum but we want to eat so I will slice it then. Here's the wagyu tallow that you can get on Amazon.

Y0dDfv3.jpg

Burnt ends were fantastic. Entire brisket was tender and juicy. This one was a win.

thUjJD5.jpg

Pickled onions with jalapenos, potato salad Amy made and grilled corn with tarragon.

nU9lfV2.jpg

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
pro burns too hot in my WSM. Yes I always fill the water bowl. Seems to be a heated debate whether or not to use it. IMO Weber put it there for a reason, I feel like it helps maintain temp, its a buffer for the lower rack and adds moisture with the smoke
Either of you guys have gaskets on WSM? It's one of the "must do" mods IMO on WSM. The door and sections of WSM are super drafty. My opinion turns temp control on easy mode for WSM, also conserves coals for longer.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
What to do with brisket trimmings? You guys don't throw them out, do you?

They will make beef tallow if you low temp cook them for a few hours. OR, you can do what I did here and grind them up for 6 lbs of hamburgers. The trimmings were too high a ratio of fat to lean so I added a couple lbs. of N.Y. Strip steak. Then it wasn't fatty enough so I added some chilled wagyu tallow. (OK, I just wanted to add the tallow)

The ground beef is chilling in the fridge now and I will make some patties and freeze most of them later. May try 1 or 2 tonight on the grill if it's not raining.

Grinding the trimmings is like getting free hamburgers. I'm hoping these turn out to be some kind of fantastic wagyu steakburgers. At worst, they'll be good hamburgers. ?

Z6Tnf7D.jpg

Amazon has a $30 meat grinder attachment if you have a Kitchen Aid mixer. I bought it a while back and, although made of really cheap materials, it works fine.

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Applewood smoked, seared to give a nice crunch, sauced and tossed.

Also for WSM i am team no water in water pan unless doing a cut of meat i am concerned with drying out. Briskets i always fill water pan. Pork butts, and ribs i do not. Tried with and without, i think i get better bark developement without. Spatchcocked chicken i also do not, because i run at 275 and am shooting for firming up the skin.

Short cooks (back ribs for example) i keep an eye on, and will spray or mop anyway.

Heres another philosophy, when the water pan runs dry during a cook, it will temp spike. And i mean spike like 75* hotter, not good. Water pan is something to be attentive to. 2/3 time i run my WSM its an overnight cook.

Like i said earlier though, no gaskets the WSM is very draftey and will want to run hot. Which the upside of that is that it will want to make clean smoke. If i had an out of box WSM, id run water in water pan.

I also do minion method. Literally only 4 lit coals on a filled fire ring if unlit charcoal and chunks.
20220703_182413.jpeg
20220703_182444.jpeg
20220703_182220.jpeg
20220703_175419.jpeg
20220703_175857.jpeg
20220703_175837.jpeg

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
What to do with brisket trimmings? You guys don't throw them out, do you?

They will make beef tallow if you low temp cook them for a few hours. OR, you can do what I did here and grind them up for 6 lbs of hamburgers. The trimmings were too high a ratio of fat to lean so I added a couple lbs. of N.Y. Strip steak. Then it wasn't fatty enough so I added some chilled wagyu tallow. (OK, I just wanted to add the tallow)

The ground beef is chilling in the fridge now and I will make some patties and freeze most of them later. May try 1 or 2 tonight on the grill if it's not raining.

Grinding the trimmings is like getting free hamburgers. I'm hoping these turn out to be some kind of fantastic wagyu steakburgers. At worst, they'll be good hamburgers. [emoji16]

Z6Tnf7D.jpg

Amazon has a $30 meat grinder attachment if you have a Kitchen Aid mixer. I bought it a while back and, although made of really cheap materials, it works fine.

Thats a nice use of trimmings for sure.

I throw the meaty pieces into beans, tallow to smother the brisket later with.

Thread Info