Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I was in NYC for a business trip the last few days. We went to Quality Meats in Manhattan and it was unbelievable. Dry aged tomahawk with truffle butter service…I would kill for this

47767DB4-D7AC-484D-972A-BC99298A2A96.jpeg

D963D9B0-1137-4A13-9758-3C5392B77F15.jpeg

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
If anyone is curious it was a mixture of marmalade, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, chinese 5 spice, flat iron asian red pepper flakes, small amount of hot sauce, SPG, and fresh chopped and minced ginger. Neat departure from my norm bbq ribs.

Retrospect i wouldn't have used chinese 5 spice on the rub. I think the anise was a bit overwhelming. I think the 5 spice played well in the sauce, but the rub was a bit intense. Flavor reminded me of when i did a home made dry rub with too much white pepper. I also didnt like the color (dark brown/black) it lended to the bark.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I made a sous vide rump roast yesterday. I was a bit disappointed at the bland flavor but it was good with the mushroom au jus I made. Fast forward to today when I made a sandwich from it. Thinly sliced with butter/mayo/lettuce the flavors all balanced out and it was excellent.

Reactions: 69Nice

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
From friday night/yesterday. No meat photography before serving, everyone was hungry AF.

Does anyone here have any insight to how good cooler brands are against each other? I got 3 Coleman coolers and I've noticed if i pull a butt or brisket at 200ish degrees and rest with towels it'll drop to 160 within 5 hours. Im just wondering if a Yeti is worth the money or is that normal?

Are the Amazon knock off Yeti coolers any good?

Current routine works great. just at 5 hours of rest I'll stick it in the oven at 175 until serving. Still doesnt turn out overdone, fat render is excellent.
IMG_20220514_095353_485.jpeg
IMG_20220514_095353_516.jpeg
20220514_032316.jpeg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Coolers can vary in types of insualation so some are better. Just as important, if you have a lot of air space in the cooler, that can contribute to temp drops. I think that's why pros recommend wrapping a butt in a towel in the cooler.

5 hours actually doesn't seem bad for a drop to 160. Are you going for longer storage than that?

Reactions: MEATeorite

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I made smoked pork belly burnt ends yesterday. Rigged up a double layer rack to hold them all and cooked indirect with charcoal and cherry wood until they had the mahogany smoke color. Put them in a half size tray and added butter, brown sugar and honey then sealed it up with foil and cooked indirect until probe tender. Transferred them to another tray and added Blues Hog Competition BBQ Sauce, some apple juice and hot sauce and let the glaze set in the kettle.

yFKqTiZ.jpg

reJvdEb.jpg

Amy and I made a pasta salad with tomatoes and herbs from my garden and also some garlic, parsley zucchini from the garden. Good complimentary sides for the sweet, sticky, squishy pork belly.

kMle5IY.jpg

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Coolers can vary in types of insualation so some are better. Just as important, if you have a lot of air space in the cooler, that can contribute to temp drops. I think that's why pros recommend wrapping a butt in a towel in the cooler.

5 hours actually doesn't seem bad for a drop to 160. Are you going for longer storage than that?
Yes, but not very often. I always lean on the side of over rested rather than under rested. My standard is atleast 3 hours rest with large briskets >14lbs. This particular brisket had a 6 hour rest and was very very juicy but not overdone/deteriorated bark. No stew texture or ends of slices falling apart. I also wrap incredibly tight and a heeping dose of tallow on the meat side. I also increase temps after wrap. 300 degrees-ish. Renders fat really well, but makes done time harder to predict.

Seems like the internet has an answer. Based off Chuds and putting boiling water in before, Yeti seems to have better, but similar temp retention.

Weird because Coleman is roughly half the thickness in insulation to a yeti.

Reactions: Flyn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
If you guys haven't done pork belly burnt ends, I recommend them. So good. Also the Blues Hog Competition BBQ sauce is on Amazon for $30+ a gallon. Make sure to get the gallon since some sellers are selling a similar looking half gallon for not much less money. Keep it sealed with the lid on firmly in a dark cabinet and it lasts a long time. Sweet Baby Ray(ish) but better (IMO).

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Yes, but not very often. I always lean on the side of over rested rather than under rested. My standard is atleast 3 hours rest with large briskets >14lbs. This particular brisket had a 6 hour rest and was very very juicy but not overdone/deteriorated bark. No stew texture or ends of slices falling apart. I also wrap incredibly tight and a heeping dose of tallow on the meat side. I also increase temps after wrap. 300 degrees-ish. Renders fat really well, but makes done time harder to predict.

Seems like the internet has an answer. Based off Chuds and putting boiling water in before, Yeti seems to have better, but similar temp retention.

Weird because Coleman is roughly half the thickness in insulation to a yeti.

Coleman is a lot cheaper, too.

Thread Info