Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
So far, so good. I smell like smoke. 109 degrees internal.

I'm spritzing the meat with apple juice/apple cider vinegar every hour or so.

53Bgyvu.jpg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Temp dropped to 244 now. Hasn't moved in a while. Webers are awesome. 66 degrees internal meat temp now. I love my Meater Plus. So much easier to use than the regular temperature probes. No wires, one device you stick into the meat and it gives internal and external temps. I set alarms for high ambient temp, low ambient temp and internal at 195. They should wake me up if anything goes awry.
Is this what you have? If so how long have you had it and any complaints? Been eye balling this for months but afraid to pull the trigger.

Jamesv82

Addict
TCG Premium
Mar 9, 2017
Is this what you have? If so how long have you had it and any complaints? Been eye balling this for months but afraid to pull the trigger.

Just like you it's got my interest.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
178 degrees and finishing the stall. Meat is starting to pull away from the bone. I used my instant read to check and the Meater Plus was within 1 degree of the instant read. Another couple hours to go. Spritzing the meat adds stall time so it's taking longer than usual. Plus, I'm not Texas Crutching it this time.

NgEjg9G.jpg

Reactions: Jamesv82

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Just like you it's got my interest.
Yeah, that's what I have. I really like the Meater Plus. So far I have been very happy with it. Seems to be accurate and it's a lot easier to set alarms and operate than most temperature probes. It's estimated times aren't always accurate for high temp cooks but I don't mind that. I think a lot of the reviews may be user error. People not inserting the probe correctly, etc.

Reactions: Jamesv82

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Yeah, that's what I have. I really like the Meater Plus. So far I have been very happy with it. Seems to be accurate and it's a lot easier to set alarms and operate than most temperature probes. It's estimated times aren't always accurate for high temp cooks but I don't mind that. I think a lot of the reviews are user error.
How long have you had it?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I bought it Sept. 10, 2020. Used it half a dozen times since I have had it. I bought it on sale for $88.

I like the relay box that houses the probe. It has batteries and keeps the probe charged automatically. It's magnetic so I stick it on the fridge and always have it handy.

No wires is another big thing. I don't have a rotisserie now but the probe would be great for that.

I put the relay box about 5 feet away from the grill on a table and it sends me a signal to my phone. I get the signal anywhere in my house. Haven't walked around outside to see how far it goes but reviewers got to their neighbor's before they lost the signal.

Programming the Meater Plus is via an easy app. I disliked the complicated programming with my ThermoPro probe set.

Remember to get the Plus, not the regular Meater. A lot of bad reviews are from the first Meater which didn't have much range.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
The side that was towards the back is done. Meater side needs a few more degrees. I flipped the meat around to get that side near the flame. I tried a piece and it is PDG. Pretty damned good. :)

FTcuO3R.jpg

You guys know how to do the fork test? I stick my instant read thermometer in to get a reading and feel the resistance. If the probe glides in like a toothpick into room temp butter, the meat is done. If there's a lot of resistance like a toothpick into a medium cooked roast, you need more time.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
FTcuO3R.jpg

You guys know how to do the fork test? I stick my instant read thermometer in to get a reading and feel the resistance. If the probe glides in like a toothpick into room temp butter, the meat is done. If there's a lot of resistance like a toothpick into a medium cooked roast, you need more time.
Looks good!
Thats pretty much common sense isn’t it?

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I have the same
giphy.gif

jewel near me during the week, i can probably 4 out of 5 weeks find discounted prime steaks. so i normally swing by quick if i have time and go hunt.

View attachment 78204
?? Yup, I have the same thing going on here.

Jewel has a lot of great meat deals. I need to shop there more often. I get my meat from Mariano’s or Costco

EDB183FB-00C2-406A-A304-D26A2D34A580.jpeg

Reactions: Flyn and Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I have the same

?? Yup, I have the same thing going on here.

Jewel has a lot of great meat deals. I need to shop there more often. I get my meat from Mariano’s or Costco

View attachment 78205

im totally okay with it, before she just wouldn't want to eat steak really anytime, now she loves filets so we're good. :rofl:

Thread Info