Oct 5, 2012
Bird and sprouts, yum

20201004_123159.jpg

Reactions: Aircal and Flyn

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Been an experimental day. Used all citrus and grape wood chunks today on the slow n sear. First up was spares i rubbed with a rub i made with dehydrated apricots, SPG, cayenne, guijillos, paprika, brown sugar and roast garlic. Midway through the cook i made a butter, hot sauce, puree'd peaches in nutribullet, brown sugar glaze. Next time i do this i think I'll throw some citric acid or even apple cider vinegar in for more tang. These were the most fruity tasting ribs ive ever done. Had a nice tropical fruit flavor from the rub and glaze, complimented nicely with citrus and grape wood smoke.

Second was volcanic peppers thors hammer as a binder for SPG, cayenne, paprika and brown sugar on back ribs. Nice burn to it.

Trash pandas are gonna definitely raid my garbage cans this week for the bones.
20201004_164203.jpeg
20201004_164220(0).jpeg
20201004_164318.jpeg
IMG_20201004_162852_416.jpeg
IMG_20201004_162852_415.jpeg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I like your thinking concerning the flavor profiles. Adding the acidity may add an interesting finish to it.

I have no idea what's going to happen with this London Broil. I invited my friends over on a whim when we were eating at their place last night so they will be the guinea pigs tonight.

I decided to add some Umami Powder to my garlic butter sauce. We'll see how that works. I made a little bit of it with lemon and without. Without is better.

I ran out of propane on the 2nd of my 3 tanks today so I'll have to wait until Amy's potatoes and carrots are finished on the Weber before I can grab the propane tank for my flame thrower.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
My friends were late so I ended up sous videing the London Broil for 26 hours at 131 degrees. Excellent tenderness, especially for a crappy cut of meat. More tender than sirloin. Less tender than prime rib. The butter/garlic/Umami sauce was great. I put the au jus on the table too and the combo with the butter sauce gave the meat fat flavor as well as more beef flavor from the au jus.

Next time I will cut my biscuits smaller. LOL. They ended up being gigo biscuits. Tasty, though.

PT4mljO.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I have been borrowing my buddy's pickup while I wait for my new radiator to come in from Rock Auto.

I'm going to get some Walmart wagyu steaks to cook for them this weekend to pay them back for loaning it to me. Not sure if I'm going to grill them or ??. Wagyu has so much fat it's not easy to grill.

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
I have been borrowing my buddy's pickup while I wait for my new radiator to come in from Rock Auto.

I'm going to get some Walmart wagyu steaks to cook for them this weekend to pay them back for loaning it to me. Not sure if I'm going to grill them or ??. Wagyu has so much fat it's not easy to grill.
I grill them. I serve them rare to medium rare. Reverse sear, pull off at 120 and enjoy. I try to sear early, so theres a crunch to the crust of it.

What cut?

Reactions: Flyn

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Last dabb'd the pork butt. Flavor didnt penetrate as much as i thought it would've. Pretty much the entire fat cap got coated with the idea it'd sweat and roll down into the meat, especially with the cross hatch scoring to the butt. Sorta fail. I think if i werent so against texas-cruching, it'd retain more of that specific flavor. But i firmly prefer crunchy bark from an unwrapped butt. Anyways, Very delicious, but just made the fat cap extremely spicy. Rest the bark was just plain-bob good bbq. Almond and applwood, good combo.

I mentioned before, i have hot sauce subscription and latest last dab Apollo pepper is on its way. Assuming its scoville scale ass whooping brutality, I plan on doing short dry brine with that as a binder. These brutally hot hot sauces lose a lot of heat after a long cook. It actually works well for just normal bbq for normal people. Just a little zing to it.
20201009_092100.jpeg
IMG_20201008_221801_961.jpeg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I'll see your Prime and raise you with wagyu. :D

Seriously, those ribeyes look great.

I'm sous videing the Walmart wagyu and then breaking out the blow torch.

You can feel the difference with the wagyu steaks. They're tacky and so tender I'm careful when picking them up so they don't fall apart. Wagyu tackiness.

by8MdFD.jpg

DnxnuqS.jpg

Reactions: Spivitz

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Mild salt, pepper and Lawry's. Sous vide for 2 hours at 131*. Blow torched until they caramelized. I was busy with my friends and forgot to take finished pics. The steaks were really good but not the best I have ever had. Next time I will listen to MEATeorite and grill them. 2/3rds of a lb. is enough with these steaks. They're too rich to eat a pound.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
I'll see your Prime and raise you with wagyu. :D

Seriously, those ribeyes look great.

I'm sous videing the Walmart wagyu and then breaking out the blow torch.

You can feel the difference with the wagyu steaks. They're tacky and so tender I'm careful when picking them up so they don't fall apart. Wagyu tackiness.

by8MdFD.jpg

DnxnuqS.jpg

No shit Batman, I did not know Walmart had Wagyu?

Thread Info