Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I did a pretty hardcore trim of all the fat before the cook and smoked these ribs for 6 hours. 198 degrees internal temp, super limp, hardly any chew, just not a lot of meat.

In terms of bad fat, I did leave membrane on, a lot of experts say to (my OCD went into overdrive). And there was a lot of fat just beneathe the membrane. I will say, meat was super moist. Whenever i do a long cook on beef i worry about drying out, this was really juicy, but with fat and membrane both, kinda yuck.

I really think the cut just doesnt yield a lot of meat. Looks neat, taste good, good flavor.

This cut to me is like Rib tips off pork spare ribs. You could put in all the right love, and still not good eats IMO.
I'll keep this in mind if I ever buy the beef ribs. I have been tempted to try them but haven't so far. With so many good meats to smoke, it sounds like it's not worth it.

I have a colonoscopy screening on Monday so I'm thinking I'll wait on the Walmart Wagyu until that's over. Not a good idea to clog up my colon with fatty beef right before that. LOL Tomorrow is going to be a sucky, clear broth and purge day. Not looking forward to it.

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
I'll keep this in mind if I ever buy the beef ribs. I have been tempted to try them but haven't so far. With so many good meats to smoke, it sounds like it's not worth it.

I have a colonoscopy screening on Monday so I'm thinking I'll wait on the Walmart Wagyu until that's over. Not a good idea to clog up my colon with fatty beef right before that. LOL Tomorrow is going to be a sucky, clear broth and purge day. Not looking forward to it.
Ive heard beef short ribs are excellent. I'd avoid beef back ribs, that's what i got. What i got is more common to run across at a grocery store. Atleast around here, Short ribs are kinda like tri-tip. Gotta ask for them specifically.

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Short ribs ARE excellent. Braise them slowly in a crock pot or smoke them and they're great. Not a ton of meat but a short rib or two is enough for most people.
Noted. Gonna have to get some sometime soon. Too many credible sources raving about that cut. I gotta try.

I dont normally go too nuts about how much $ and meat per person or value in general, except lately around here atleast with tri-tip being >10 bucks a LBS which is insane IMO, or "wagyu ground beef" at premium prices (im with you there 100 percent).

These Beef back ribs were ridiculous. 6 bones, i bet wife and i had maybe 7 complete mouthfull bites out of the entire rack, put together. Not good.
Good flavor, good texture, very juicy, but shitty yield.

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Good night to the overnight cook
IMG_20200919_224450_343.jpeg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
7 bites is not enough when the cost isn't dirt cheap.

Try the short ribs some time and I think you will be pleased. The flavor is awesome and they have 4-5 bites each.

I'm going to be so jealous when I see your cook tomorrow. I'll be drinking diet 7 Up and eating jello and clear broth. ?

I ordered some Maldon salt a few days ago. Got it yesterday. Salt pyramids that they pull out of seawater in England. Tasty mild flavor. It's a finishing salt but you can use it for cooking, too. I need to grill up some tomato slices and try it on them.

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Any of you guys looking for a wild card on your bbq game, swap out that yellow mustard for hot sauce as a slather. This hot sauce is a bit too potent for me (chocolate ghost pepper), but over the cook, the heat died down a bit but still gives a ton of flavor. Its neat, it gives the lips and tongue numbing effect, but not too hot. What little burn is there goes away very fast.
20200920_120340.jpeg
20200920_120815.jpeg
20200920_121014.jpeg
20200920_120445.jpeg
20200920_120302.jpeg
20200919_144625.jpeg

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Will definitely give that a try as everyone in our house likes spice/hot
I dont know if you're like me, but i have two hot sauce subscriptions. I put it on everything. I use it as salad dressing. But i also dont like super hot. Things north of habanero (ghost, scorpion, and reaper) are normally way too much for me. This volcanic peppers sauce is something id call "unusable". Too hot. Worked excellent as a binder for rub here in this application. The bark will numb up your tongue and has nice burn to it, but probably half as hot as it was out of bottle, if that gives some reference.

I got an overnight cook for work on Thursday for fridays lunch. Even with an audience that doesnt love the heat, I'm already set on using it as a binder. I think something like Melinda's habanero or El yucateco or Valentina will work good.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Ive heard beef short ribs are excellent. I'd avoid beef back ribs

I made beef short ribs twice in the last month or so. I loved them. Slow-cooked on the Traeger.

I saw the beef back ribs and asked the butcher about them. He said it is considered a better cut and should have better flavor. I looked at them and they looked anemic compared to the short ribs. So I skipped them to research them more. After reading this, I think I'll pass.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I broke a crown and another tooth biting down on a bacon and chicken sandwich, need a root canal and two crowns so that's going to limit my solid food intake until I get them fixed.

So I REALLY don't know what to make tonight. ?

(Actually, I made clam chowder last night so I'll eat some of that)

• Sad
Reactions: Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'm trying to be pretty low carb currently... Didn't know what to make. Felt like hot wings but didn't want wings.. So I did 'boneless wings? "... Chicken breasts cut and hammered into similar size chunks, egg wash then tossed in pork rinds. It's mindfucking how good these turned out. I couldn't believe it so crispy and legit. I tossed some in wing sauce but it made the coating flobbily so we dunked the rest.

0925201736_HDR.jpg

Thread Info