Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
that has a nice bark, but if you were looking to shred it, needs more time to break down all the collagen. I smoke alot of chuck roasts unfoiled (for dat bark) and they all cook differently. For shredded, I usually pull it once they hit 203 IT and let it rest for at least 30 mins. Could be 8 hours, could be 16 lol. Lately I've been firing the smoker up the night before, and start the cook overnight to have enough time. If its done well before dinner, I double foil it, wrap it in towels and toss in a good cooler. Stays piping hot for hours.
Definitely learned there is no set time for this stuff. Part of it shredded and I had to chunk up the rest. Overall it was really delicious as the rub and smoke was on point.
I will be giving myself more time in the future. I just bought 40lbs of these pellets and will try them. Seem to have good reviews and ingredients, pretty pumped.

20200330_133610.jpg

Reactions: BeerOrGasoline

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I have an eye of round roast from my 1/4 cow. How do you guys recommend I cook or grill it, open to all suggestions
You have sous vide equipment? Sous videing it would make it really tender.

Otherwise you could use a sear/bake process in an oven or grill. 500* to sear it at 6 mins per pound then turn the heat down to 170* to finish the cook. Pull it at 125*-130* depending on how rare you want the center.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
You have sous vide equipment? Sous videing it would make it really tender.

Otherwise you could use a sear/bake process in an oven or grill. 500* to sear it at 6 mins per pound then turn the heat down to 170* to finish the cook. Pull it at 125*-130* depending on how rare you want the center.
No to the sous vide, still not sold on giving meat a bath, lol.
How would you season it, basic salt and pepper

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Definitely learned there is no set time for this stuff. Part of it shredded and I had to chunk up the rest. Overall it was really delicious as the rub and smoke was on point.
I will be giving myself more time in the future. I just bought 40lbs of these pellets and will try them. Seem to have good reviews and ingredients, pretty pumped.

View attachment 54231

yeah just give yourself more time than needed. You'll get the hang of it, every piece of meat cooks differently. Some cuts are just miserable and seem to take forever. It's frustrating but the wait is always worth it. Been down that road a couple times when dinner needs to be ready at 5 and the meat is stalled out and temp hasnt moved for hours. Guests are told its worth the wait :rofl:

Reactions: SleeperLS

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I hesitate to cook chicken breast any other way than sous vide. It is worth a shot to see what you like. I did beef that way, but definitely found its use for chicken breast. Although, the beef I made was perfect and absurdly tender. I bought a torch to give it a crust when it is done as well. It is worth a shot if you like experimenting. I haven't smoked that cut before so I can't be of much help.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Salt and pepper gives you the real beef flavor. If you want to go heavier flavor, you can use spices like thyme, garlic, onion powder but go easy on the thyme. Thyme can overpower a dish if you use too much. Since you're new to this cut, salt and pepper would be fine. S&P all sides.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Salt and pepper gives you the real beef flavor. If you want to go heavier flavor, you can use spices like thyme, garlic, onion powder but go easy on the thyme. Thyme can overpower a dish if you use too much. Since you're new to this cut, salt and pepper would be fine.
Not a fan of thyme, but will do a little garlic and onion powder as well

Reactions: Flyn

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I would also add that I love experimenting with rubs. Salt and pepper are good if your a purist, but I usually add garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper and then decide what flavor I want from there. Italian, smokehouse, Asian, cajun, or whatever tour taste buds call for

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I think one of the best uses for sous vide is cheap roasts. Last one I did was a top round (IIRC) and I cooked it sous vide for 24 hrs. It was as tender as prime rib when it finished. I can't remember if I seared it before or after the sous vide. Probably after. Really hot cast iron pan with some high heat oil and butter, clarified butter if you have it. Open ALL the windows. LOL

As mentioned, a torch will work, too, and you can do it outside.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I would also add that I love experimenting with rubs. Salt and pepper are good if your a purist, but I usually add garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper and then decide what flavor I want from there. Italian, smokehouse, Asian, cajun, or whatever tour taste buds call for
I make a ton of homemade rubs. Probably have 2-3 different rubs in the spice cabinet right now that are homemade.

Reactions: SleeperLS

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I grilled some hamburgers and was disappointed with the juicyness. I think my brisket was too lean giving me a 90/10 type of lean/fat ratio rather than the 80/20 I like. Next time, I'm going to pick out some fattier brisket/chuck.

It's still really fresh and good just not amazingly so.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I made a couple of patties and Guy Fieri's roasted garlic aioli (google it).

fGUH3oC.jpg

Decided to do a patty melt so I needed grilled onions.

Cyi9LKb.jpg

Meat has a really red color to it.

m8dW8Ad.jpg

Added some sour cream and onion potato chips.

72U9W7X.jpg

Overcooked it a little but it was still tasty with the aioli and the onions. Just not as juicy as I wanted. Live and learn...

RglVyNb.jpg

Thread Info