20200315_175919.jpeg
20200315_174356.jpeg
20200315_172646.jpeg

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Well, it is cold and windy here but I am going to give it a go. Bottom round roast rubbed with green onion olive oil and a mixture of roasted garlic powder, italian herbs, onion salt, pepper, and green chili flakes. Then, pasted with granulated garlic. I put it on at 200 for a slow cook and hopefully it will help tender it up a bit. Shooting for 135 then pull it and let it rest.

20200320_121433.jpg

Reactions: BS ISF and Spivitz

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Well, it turned out really delicious. Definitely not the best cut of meat as it is a bit tough, but that was expected as it was a last minute backup plan. I will be using this rub in the future as the smoked garlic was unreal.

I made truffle hash brown cakes as a side and balsamic brown sugar red onions to top the steak.

Also, those who use a pellet smoker and haven't got the best smoke flavor should try different pellets. I used the grilla competition blend and the smoke flavor was pretty strong in the meat...Which was delicious.

20200320_163011.jpg

20200320_164118.jpg

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Well, it turned out really delicious. Definitely not the best cut of meat as it is a bit tough, but that was expected as it was a last minute backup plan. I will be using this rub in the future as the smoked garlic was unreal.

I made truffle hash brown cakes as a side and balsamic brown sugar red onions to top the steak.

Also, those who use a pellet smoker and haven't got the best smoke flavor should try different pellets. I used the grilla competition blend and the smoke flavor was pretty strong in the meat...Which was delicious.

View attachment 53488

View attachment 53489

Mmmm, I'll be right over ?

Reactions: SleeperLS

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Anybody mix up their own hamburger? I have been grilling Chophouse frozen burgers which are Angus chuck and brisket. They are TASTY.

I asked Amy to keep an eye on chuck and brisket prices and grab some when they're on sale. I want to use my Kitchen Aid grinder attachment for once. I'll do a write up and review when I get the meats.

chophouse.jpg

Reactions: torquelover

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Anybody mix up their own hamburger? I have been grilling Chophouse frozen burgers which are Angus chuck and brisket. They are TASTY.

I asked Amy to keep an eye on chuck and brisket prices and grab some when they're on sale. I want to use my Kitchen Aid grinder attachment for once. I'll do a write up and review when I get the meats.

chophouse.jpg
Just did today. I normally do 100 percent ground chuck even though its a little lean normally, 85/15 meat fat ratio. Normally a bit too lean for what most think is right for a burger, but I'd argue different. I think using a thermapen is better at getting a juicy burger than relying on a fattier cut/mix of meat IMO.

I dont believe in any fillers in a burger. Bread crumbs, cheese, mushroom are just taking up real estate for where beef should be. If you're putting bacon in, you're raising the temp you're pulling it off to 145. It just makes a greasy over-cooked burger. Why not just put ingredients on seperate? Bacon is great on a burger, i normally grill it first and use it's grease as a pre-lube (heh) on the grill for the burgers.

I reverse sear everything and late in the cook, frequently check temps with a thermapen on everything i do. Form patty and make center divot, SPG rub just after dropping on grill. I like a bit of pecan smoke while i indirect to 105ish, then sear to 125. Carry over cook gets it nice and medium rare.

Burgers here were just 80/20 ground beef. Cuts like chuck and brisket definitely have more flavor, but i am not deterred by regular good quality ground beef. It just isnt my first choice. These were excellent, my biggest concern is quality, then cut.

Also, grilled poblanos on a burger is my favorite topping. Also love Korean gochujang on a burger. All of this IMO based off my experience of doing this.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk.
20200322_130209.jpeg

Reactions: Jamesv82 and Flyn

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
From frozens are great. They normally flash freeze the beef and works great. Them and Bubba burgers do a good job at delivering good quality (most important component in a burger) in perfect shape. Only hate i have is that nailing a perfect cook (firm crust, medium rare) is very difficult with them.

I treat them like an IKEA furniture. Throw the instructions away and thaw them and reverse sear (i dont reverse sear furniture, i put it together with a dewalt impact gun, same thing)

chophouse.jpg

Reactions: Flyn

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Just did today. I normally do 100 percent ground chuck even though its a little lean normally, 85/15 meat fat ratio. Normally a bit too lean for what most think is right for a burger, but I'd argue different. I think using a thermapen is better at getting a juicy burger than relying on a fattier cut/mix of meat IMO.

I dont believe in any fillers in a burger. Bread crumbs, cheese, mushroom are just taking up real estate for where beef should be. If you're putting bacon in, you're raising the temp you're pulling it off to 145. It just makes a greasy over-cooked burger. Why not just put ingredients on seperate? Bacon is great on a burger, i normally grill it first and use it's grease as a pre-lube (heh) on the grill for the burgers.

I reverse sear everything and late in the cook, frequently check temps with a thermapen on everything i do. Form patty and make center divot, SPG rub just after dropping on grill. I like a bit of pecan smoke while i indirect to 105ish, then sear to 125. Carry over cook gets it nice and medium rare.

Burgers here were just 80/20 ground beef. Cuts like chuck and brisket definitely have more flavor, but i am not deterred by regular good quality ground beef. It just isnt my first choice. These were excellent, my biggest concern is quality, then cut.

Also, grilled poblanos on a burger is my favorite topping. Also love Korean gochujang on a burger. All of this IMO based off my experience of doing this.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk.View attachment 53624
We are doing homemade ranch burgers today using our ground beef from the cow which has to be damn near 100%.
All my buddies that I have given ground beef to when we are ready for our yearly 1/4 cow and have left over swear this beef makes the best homemade burgers ever. Only filler if you want to call it a filler with ranch burgers is some ranch powder mixed in. I do the bacon in the oven and toss on top when patties are done.

Reactions: Flyn and MEATeorite

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
We are doing homemade ranch burgers today using our ground beef from the cow which has to be damn near 100%.
All my buddies that I have given ground beef to when we are ready for our yearly 1/4 cow and have left over swear this beef makes the best homemade burgers ever. Only filler if you want to call it a filler with ranch burgers is some ranch powder mixed in. I do the bacon in the oven and toss on top when patties are done.
I wouldnt call a rub or powder in a burger a filler. I am refering more to bacon or bread crumbs or mushroom inside the burger. I use a lot of ranch powder on chicken wings on the grill.

Reactions: Shawn1112

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
We had a 4lb boneless pork butt in the freezer I figured I would do something with today. Rubbed it with german mustard then mixed up some dry rub comprised of brown sugar, garlic power, onion powder, garlic salt, red and green chili powder, pinch of cinnamon, cumin, some herbs. 225 on the smoker until she is done at 200.

About half way done as of now.

20200322_142307.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I have partially thawed ribs or loin type meats, cut them and then refrozen the parts I'm not using with no issues. I make sure the refrozen meat smells fresh when I thaw it again. It's definitely a lot easier to cut it and vacuum pack it when you first get it. I just have to keep an eye on Amy when we buy large meats. She likes to toss it in the freezer.

Thread Info