TCG Fall Track Day Rental | Great Lakes | Friday, October 9th

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
HOWEVER, that doesnt explain my god awful launches....maybe the track was just too sticky for my car....dunno. I'll sort it out tho.

I haven’t dealt with modded Rs but a lot of factory AWD cars on a sticky track will bog. Need to be out of the groove a little to get that wheel speed up.

Reactions: 1quick and Mook

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
Pretty sure I was in the lane racing him when this happened. At first I was like "fuck what is that noise I hope it isn't me" then I saw what was next to me and knew I was fine :rofl:
A lot of people got a kick out of seeing the car. Definitely something different.

When it got loud u was like "oh I hope that's just a header gasket". Sucks but hopefully it's just the head gasket and nothing else got damaged.

I was coming down the return lane when I heard that thing screaming. Sounded unlike anything I’ve ever heard.

Roki187

May 25, 2020
Streamwood
Real Name
Walter
So I weighed the car today with 3/4 tank
Hoping to shave another 200lb by next season keeping the full interior
5B4DF27F-BF0B-4144-B104-EC24A76D638C.jpg
7003EE90-B072-4AD2-BC44-0DB7B75DBFC6.jpg

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
Pretty sure I was in the lane racing him when this happened. At first I was like "fuck what is that noise I hope it isn't me" then I saw what was next to me and knew I was fine :rofl:
I'll have a video in the media dump pretty soon that's a pretty good shot of your side.
I just looked at the slip from that run - wtf happened to the mph on your side??

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
2jz 240
Both runs on iboost setting 3 so around 20psi (out of 33psi on setting 5)
Weak ass burnout
Left on no boost ?‍♂️
Spun both times on the 2-3 shift so let off and fought my way down

I had an amazing time!!!! Met a bunch of awesome people, glad I didn’t wreck but I wish I could have turned it up.
The car works well on the street but sadly I was not able to replicate that

I think you will be surprised how well things come together when you can launch the car on boost. It will let the suspension plant the tires and let the car work as it should. The car makes gobs of power. Once you get it to leave and figure out power management, that thing is going to be a rocket ship with that weight and power. Good luck with dialing it in. I know how it runs from a roll on those open desert roads in Mexico. :eek:

Reactions: Roki187 and Mook

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
You said you were at 32% E on an E30 tune. I’m surprised the excess was that sensitive

It depends on the platform and the tune. Direct Injection cars get in trouble real quick when the ethanol content gets too high due to the High Pressure Fuel Pump falling off sharply. I know on my 335i on the canned E60 tune falls off sharply after 60% E. I can watch my high side fuel pressure dive when boost kicks in with anything above 60%. So the tune pulls boost and lowers timing to attempt to keep the fuel pressure up. And this is with the upgraded Low Pressure Fuel Pump.

I'll need to log the car with UM software to see at what % the tune starts pulling power.

Email UM and see what they say? Maybe they will give you some insight into the tune strategy?

Me at the track: "Mook, are you data logging your runs to see what is changing?"

Also me: forget to hit record on data logger every pass. :hsughlol:

Also me: Forgets to change settings to allow automatic data logging at WOT. :bowrofl:

I haven’t dealt with modded Rs but a lot of factory AWD cars on a sticky track will bog. Need to be out of the groove a little to get that wheel speed up.

We need to stop posting what one another is thinking. :rofl: I mentioned the same thing to Mook and Vogz buddy with the R when they were speaking of the track times versus the Dragy street times. But I think Mook said he wasn't able to raise his launch RPM either. Or was just done with the car by that point.

Reactions: Bru and Mook

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
It depends on the platform and the tune. Direct Injection cars get in trouble real quick when the ethanol content gets too high due to the High Pressure Fuel Pump falling off sharply. I know on my 335i on the canned E60 tune falls off sharply after 60% E. I can watch my high side fuel pressure dive when boost kicks in with anything above 60%. So the tune pulls boost and lowers timing to attempt to keep the fuel pressure up. And this is with the upgraded Low Pressure Fuel Pump.

Email UM and see what they say? Maybe they will give you some insight into the tune strategy?

Me at the track: "Mook, are you data logging your runs to see what is changing?"

Also me: forget to hit record on data logger every pass. :hsughlol:

Also me: Forgets to change settings to allow automatic data logging at WOT. :bowrofl:

We need to stop posting what one another is thinking. :rofl: I mentioned the same thing to Mook and Vogz buddy with the R when they were speaking of the track times versus the Dragy street times. But I think Mook said he wasn't able to raise his launch RPM either. Or was just done with the car by that point.
I have 3 launch settings currently. 2k is too low and useless. 3k or whatever it's at is, imo, a pain in the ass to successfully engage as I need to apply half throttle and sometimes it's sloppy. 4k was too much for the track, at least on that prep.

By the end of the day, I was frustrated and not really giving a shit at the line [emoji1787]

I'll be back this month tho and will be more vigilant. I might also pop for user adjustable LC so that I can fine tune the car for the track and the street.

Also, you're spot on with your flex talk.. Tho I dunno if my hpfp was struggling, but the car was absolutely pulling boost because of my E content. User error and still learning.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I've definitely got the track itch now. Hopefully I can get everything done over the winter that I have planned. 10s are the goal next season.

And yes, I realize the irony of wanting 10s when I haven't even run 11s at the track yet.

I know the formula... It's just gonna take money and practice.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Finally got all my slips into Excel. I'd say I was quite consistent.... Highlighted the best figures of each metric.

Mook Mook, like you I was a cunt hair from getting down into the next bracket. Need more tailwind I guess, LOL. I might change my gearing for harder/faster launches, but then I'd definitely need to make the 4-5 upshift right about the 1200' mark, so I'll lose a few hundreths of a second. As it is now I'm just hitting the limiter at 16,500rpm in 4th right before the trap.

1602534317765.png

Thread Info