đź’¦ Detailing TCG Detailing Thread

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Is Griots 3 in1 ceramic wax a still decent? I was it for a quick wipe down after washing
I've had decent success with the Ceramic 3-in-1 spray. I know The Beast The Beast was happy with it on his lady's ride.

Since they came out with the Ceramix All-in-one last year I started using that instead.

Reactions: blue-sun

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Whatcha y’all using to detail engine bays? Mine is just dirty from road dirt and shit being caked on over the years. Some type of spray on and hose off stuff would be great but, I don’t think that’s the answer. From a glance everything looks clean and nice because I will wipe it down and keep up on that. It’s all the nooks, crevices and hard to reach areas that are really starting to look like poop.

Reactions: crooks

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Whatcha y’all using to detail engine bays? Mine is just dirty from road dirt and shit being caked on over the years. Some type of spray on and hose off stuff would be great but, I don’t think that’s the answer. From a glance everything looks clean and nice because I will wipe it down and keep up on that. It’s all the nooks, crevices and hard to reach areas that are really starting to look like poop.
Ive always used Simple Green diluted 3/1 with Simple Green being the 3. I rinse the engine bay off, then spray the Simple Green all over and let it sit for a minute.
I then take a soft brush and agitate the Simple Green, more so in the dirtier areas. Rinse it off, then I take my compressor and the blow tool and blow dry it, followed up with wiping it down with a microfiber. I dont dress the hoses and other shit as I feel that shit attracts dirt and grime. Gav or others might have a different method, but I have done this for over 10yrs without any issues and I have cleaned some filthy ass engine bays that came out great.
I've always used a garden hose with a nozzle, never have I used a power washer.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL

Depending on the level of dirt/grease etc, An all purpose cleaner should be sufficient. If a degreaser is used, I would dilute it per the bottle/manufacturer recommendations ( I would go a bit weaker depending on the product ).
any and all detailing brushes on hand to help break up dirt etc.
Rinse ( people use pressure washers for this step. An electric PW with a max PSI of 1600 is probably only putting out 1400 and if you use a 3.0, 3.5 or 4.0 orifice 40* tip then there should be no issues. ) Remember to use common sense
and not concentrate the water on connectors etc.

compressed air to 'dry' plus MF towels to dry accessible areas.
Koch Chemie Motorplast is a solid choice for a 'dressing' / protectant. It actually uses water to bond to form a protective layer.

CarPro Pearl diluted 1:1 or Meguiar's Hyper Dressing ( if you can find it ) in a 3:1 dilution

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Sonax alcantara cleaner
Or
Colourlock alcantara cleaner

You can use a leather brush to gently agitate. The one thing to remember with this is removing the cleaner. A steamer or damp MF towels to 'rinse' the cleaner out.
Think of a washing machine, the actual washing is done when the machine rinses the detergent out of the clothing etc

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Reactions: LikeABauce302

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Reactions: The Beast