đź’¦ Detailing TCG Detailing Thread

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Try a clay bar and then IPA. Then try some sort of glass protectant.

I agree.
I have not heard of the steel wool trick ( even if it is #0000 wood finishing type )

When the windshield is dry, use a plastic bag to run your hand over the glass. If it feels like sandpaper then clay will remove the contamination.
Rain X at the minimum will get you by for 3-4 weeks.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I need polishing pads and I’m curious what you guys would recommend for an orbital buffer and the condition of my paint. one step two step? How do I decide? It hasn’t been polished in four years. I included a picture but I’m also curious how many pads I should order. I have an Adams two step polish from a few years ago. Does that stuff get old or should I be able to reuse it?

0E066B07-BBD9-40EB-9F8F-A6DF8CE97209.jpeg

B62678F4-74E7-463D-B977-F6B5EB8EB665.jpeg

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Lake country light cutting and polishing foam pads, i would think 2 of each would get you through 1 car
I would order a conditioning brush to scrub pads after each panel

Buff N Shine 50/50 euro fiber pads may get the job done in 1 shot ( likely with the "polish" not the "compound" from Adam's )
3-4 of these because the fibers will get more "gummed" up even using the brush after each panel.
If you have a compressor and can "blow out" the pads, this would be the best option

Shake the chemicals, they should be fine after 1-2 years.

Always start with the least aggressive combo. For example, a polishing pad and the polish.
do one area and see how it comes out. If you are happy with the results, there is no need to hammer down on the paint with the compound + more aggressive pad.
Some areas may require the compound but only use it as needed.
If you can attain 80-85% correction with the polish and polishing pad, I would say that is a WIN.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I need polishing pads and I’m curious what you guys would recommend for an orbital buffer and the condition of my paint. one step two step? How do I decide? It hasn’t been polished in four years. I included a picture but I’m also curious how many pads I should order. I have an Adams two step polish from a few years ago. Does that stuff get old or should I be able to reuse it?

You don't live too far from me. If you want to borrow my porter cable buffer to try it out, feel free.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I would've definitely swung over and pet the pitty and fucked some hood rats then squeezed on some ratchets

Just for the record, I'm happily married and not 17 anymore, lol.
So good chance there wont be any hood rats over. But I could point you in the right direction.

Started the paint correction, got both back 1/4 panels done, rear bumper and complete tailgate. Paint probably needs more than just a 1 step polish. Looking like to get it as close to perfect as possible it will need to be hit with a cutting compound then polished. I'm going to wait on that until I decide if I'm going to ceramic coat it or not. So for now will just hit it with polish and then some Pinnacle Souveran that I have laying around. Used that on a red car once before and it really made the red pop.

Thread Info