đź’¦ Detailing TCG Detailing Thread

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
I would look into the aluminum sealant to keep them looking good, it's not expensive.
:bigthumb:

Product feedback - I hit one with the Adam's 2 step polish system a d it came out amazing.
Like I said, they are brand new have just a little bit of oxidation from rolling around on them but that stuff worked fantastic. Much better results than mother's mag or billet polish has given me in the past.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Looking to do a full correction / coating here in the next few weeks.

Quick questions for those of you experienced with ceramic coatings, I have a bottle of Cquartz UK 3.0 I bought about 8-10 months ago to coat a set of wheels. I used very little and put the bottle back in the closet (dark / dry), would you think this is still safe to use even after being open so long?

It looks perfectly fine, it's not cloudy or anything, but of course I don't want to risk it if you think I'll have application issues or it wont perform as well as it should

Thoughts?

CarPro products come with an expiration sticker on the bottom of the bottles.
If it's not cloudy and the top was tight then it should be okay. Make sure to inspect the plastic dropper insert for any crystals/ dried coating.

I have a few bottles that are a couple years old, should be fine. My neighbor bought a kit 3 years ago. We plan to use it on his Infiniti in the next few weeks.

Best thing is to apply a small amount to an inconspicuous area and see what happens. Worst case you polish the spot again and purchase new stuff.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Wifes Cousin (electrician) blew me off today, not his fault. So going to ceramic coat the Wifeys Cherokee. Only 5000 miles on it and its white, really hoping the paint isnt that bad. I know there is a ton of rail dust in her paint, shit drives me nuts when I wash it. About to go outside, wash, decom, clay and wash again then throw it in the garage. Will go tape it off later tonight and possibly start the paint correction (at least the hood and roof done). Then finish her up tomorrow, crank the heat and let her sit until Sunday.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
So far, so good as the paint looks to be in really good shape still.
All taped off and in the garage, pretty sure will get away with just an easy polish on 90% of the truck

Process as of now
Rinse
Foam with Chemical guys HoneyDew
Rinse
Wash with Chemical Guys Clean Slate,
Rinse
Decom with Carpro Trix, Iron X with tar remover (not a fan)
Rinse
Clay using Nanoskin mitt and HoneyDew foam for lube
Rinse
Wash again with Clean Slate
Rinse
not to clutter your thread, Shawn1112 Shawn1112
I'm not surprised you are not a fan of the TRIX. I get why they came out with it but sometimes 2 products should be left as 2 products.
Absolutely, especially in this case.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
is the gray section smooth or textured ? if textured, it may be a bit of a pain to apply a coating to. Some pro shops will use a small air pen looking thing ( like what an air brush artist would use... small reservoir for the product ).
As for the aluminum, you have to be careful with the product that you use. Dekalb county lifts asked me to protect a set of 28" forged aluminum wheels. I remember watching an autofanatic video where he talked about applying a coating to artwork and having a big issue. I emailed him to ask if he had suggestions. Here is the email response:

So I did some research of my own. A few threads used Gtechniq C5 wheel armour. I checked their site and it does not say safe for bare aluminum wheels.
Other threads mentioned CarPro DLUX. I emailed the guys @ sky care care. Their response was that DLUX can be used but they suggest using Ultima aluminum sealant instead.

More research showed that McKee's wheel coating was safe for bare aluminum. I emailed them to confirm and they said it is okay to use.
I have their original formula. I'm happy to report I used it on the wheels and no fogging or any distortion of the finish occurred.

Even if they are coated, it will only slow the oxidation process, so they will need to be re-polished at some point in the future to maintain the mirror like finish.

Shawn1112 Shawn1112
In response to your tag in the DONK thread. Post 1945 includes the email from AutoFanatic that is referenced in my reply.

Reactions: Shawn1112

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Hey guys. A buddy of mine has a 2017 4 Runner, and I am going to detail it come spring. I have everything I need but the LSP. I have some Wolfgang hybrid ceramic coating, but he wants something for his all year round DD. What is the longest lasting best product in your guy’s opinion for a DD? He mainly takes it through a touch less wash.

Reactions: blue-sun

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
So i purchased a 1 step paint correction and ceramic coat for black friday.

My question is should i have this done before winter and salt hits the road ways or wait until spring?

I have 6 months to use it and was wondering what option is better.

do you have a description on what exactly is a 1step paint correction? I would recommend before winter as depending on the quality of the product will help protect paint and shouldn’t have any issue surviving the winter.

BS ISF

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 24, 2012
WEST BURBS
Shawn1112 Shawn1112 yes already paid for and going to have them do other treatments as well as this package deal. I'm sure the 1 stage paint correction is dependent on the condition of your paint. I need to have rock chips filled and want the wheels ceramic coated as well.

MrMezger996 MrMezger996 it was stated that depending on the condition of paint their maybe add-on's. I was ok with this due to the price i paid and knew the condition of my paint and the issues.

I am leaning on just getting this done asap just was wondering if it was better to wait until after winter.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Shawn1112 Shawn1112 yes already paid for and going to have them do other treatments as well as this package deal. I'm sure the 1 stage paint correction is dependent on the condition of your paint. I need to have rock chips filled and want the wheels ceramic coated as well.

MrMezger996 MrMezger996 it was stated that depending on the condition of paint their maybe add-on's. I was ok with this due to the price i paid and knew the condition of my paint and the issues.

I am leaning on just getting this done asap just was wondering if it was better to wait until after winter.
Your having a shop do the work? Sounded like you were doing it yourself.
Yes get it done asap

Reactions: Aircal

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
8DFA5846-761D-436E-AB9E-1FD291494038.jpeg

Picked up some shit from Autogeek on a Black Friday sale. Giving Ceramic another shot here ? The gloss on this stuff from 3D seems amazing. Also trying the Optimum Paint Prep vs doing an IPA wipe. IDAFC21 IDAFC21 you have convinced me to get the Brake Buster. Gav'sPurpleZ Gav'sPurpleZ Is the foamer necessary for this or can I just throw it in a spray bottle?

Thread Info