đź’¦ Detailing TCG Detailing Thread

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Minutes before leaving the hotel in Florida I watched a guy take a beach towel to his Tesla 3 to wipe the accumulated sand off

I could have said something, but we all know it would have been pointless.

I can’t even begin to fathom the scratches, swirls, and gouges. He’d have been better off using steel wool and wet sand paper.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Minutes before leaving the hotel in Florida I watched a guy take a beach towel to his Tesla 3 to wipe the accumulated sand off

I can’t even begin to fathom the scratches, swirls, and gouges. He’d have been better off using steel wool and wet sand paper.
I still cringe at the thought that back in 03/04, we were in Schaumburg at a red light by a gas station, in winter (weather like this week, mid 30s) and a guy in a black civic coupe was using the gas stations windshield washer squeegee to give his car a car wash.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I still cringe at the thought that back in 03/04, we were in Schaumburg at a red light by a gas station, in winter (weather like this week, mid 30s) and a guy in a black civic coupe was using the gas stations windshield washer squeegee to give his car a car wash.
Ive seen that a lot over the years lol

Reactions: blue-sun

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go

I saw this at the BP in Yorkville a few weeks back

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ

:s00ls::s00ls::s00ls::s00ls::s00ls::s00ls::s00ls::s00ls:

:fth:

Reactions: blue-sun

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
I've been using meguiars endurance gel for YEARS.

A little bit of this really goes a long way. I use very little and just work it onto the tire until its all evenly (thinly) coated. Puts a nice shine on the tire and it will last awhile, especially on cars like my GTO that don't go outside every single day. And if you put it on the right way and let it sit before you drive nothing slings off onto your paint either. This shit will last you forever. It's not water based or anything so it can get a little greasy, but it cleans off easy enough with a decent wheel/tire cleaner like brake buster and a good tire brush
A lot of guys use too much tire dressing on tires, that causes sludge and the stuff slinging on the fenders and doors.
It Looks like shit then lol.

Reactions: IDAFC21

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
IMG_3224.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3223.jpg

giphy.gif

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
That person is a fucking pig. I saw that all too often when I worked at Ziebart. They would spend $189 over 20yrs ago for an interior detail. Just so their shit can look that bad again a few months later.

I feel bad for the detail co that picks up these vehicles. This one is not that bad but some I refuse to drive or sit in.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
breaking off from Bored thread FirstWorldProblems N20GT
This was prob operator error but I tried a clay mitt once and it did almost nothing for me. Switched back to a bar and it picked up a lot of stuff the mitt missed

is this normal?

What brand was it ? Did you break it in on the glass first ? Was the surface of the vehicle wet + a clay lube ? Dry then misting on a clay lube ?
what was used for the clay lube ?

I believe that a clay bar removes more contamination than a mitt or towel.
but
I have not had any issues with towels or a mitt ( only used the CG fine clay mitt years ago ).
I have moved on to the Nanoskin handy towel ( 7" ) and just purchased the Rag company fine clay towel ( formerly the Optimum clay towel ).

When dealing with light - moderate contamination, these should get the job done. Tar, and heavy contamination, I would still reach for a bar.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I had a cheap clay towel for years, I would keep it stored folded in on itself with my MF towels and last year when I used it, the "clay" material was stuck to itself so badly. I need to pick up a new one this spring.

I'm also thinking of switching from MF Wash Mitts to MF Wash Towels like how Larry @ AMMO NYC does. I'll probably do a large supply purchase in a few weeks in preparation for spring to make the switch.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I've been using this.. Has taken care of 95% of what I needed:

Thought about getting this when the smaller one wears down.

Reactions: Marko

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
Ceramic coatings from the main companies for paint, trim, wheels and glass are fine.
Any other 'dressing' or random product that is SiO2 is a marketing pitch.

Shawn1112 Shawn1112
I have Salt away or Salt gone and sometimes add it to the iK Foamer ( I think it's the 9, larger one but older container style ). when I go to the pay and spray.
When performing a rinseless wash, I always pretreat the surface with a sprayer + rinseless wash solution.
I have used the ultra black sponge, MF mitts and the multiple MF towel method.
If it is warm enough, I will do a few panels at a time ( Bumper, hood and fenders.....windshield, roof, back window.....2 side doors.....rear 1/4s, trunk/tailgate/ bumper )

All work okay, I try to avoid rinseless washing at all costs but sometimes its necessary just to get the vehicle clean in winter months.
So much of this shit just seems like who ever has the best marketing

I havent kept up on whats going on in detailing lately. Is carpro Reload snake oil?

I finally used up my meguiars cut compound. What should I get to replace it?

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
So much of this shit just seems like who ever has the best marketing

I havent kept up on whats going on in detailing lately. Is carpro Reload snake oil?

I finally used up my meguiars cut compound. What should I get to replace it?

Reload is not snake oil. It serves a purpose.
Groit's ceramic metal polish on the other hand ? Not so much.

As for a compound
Sonax Cutmax
Jescar correction compound
Menzerna FG400 ( although I think they renamed it to Heavy cut or so BS )

not in any particular order. I may have an 8oz bottle of FG400 if you want to buy a smaller bottle.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Thread Info