IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Its snowing in Arizona!!

nEHRwvI.jpg

I had to do something to get my mind off buying shit for a little while :ROFLMAO: This is what I get for taking the week off during black friday week and not planning anything to occupy myself.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I washed both cars on Friday afternoon. Was planning on applying Fluid Film to the underside of both yesterday but that didn’t end up happening. Hopefully will get to that this afternoon once the rain stops, as I’m sure the Bears game will be a disaster.

It was sunny and no clouds out at all while I washed the cars. I did a snow foam, and almost immediately rinsed it off. Contact wash was 1 panel at a time, then rinse. Then I used the remaining snow foam to coat the cars again and rinse off again. There were still water spots, especially on the glass.

Dried with an electric leaf blower in the garage with the doors closed and final wipe down with P&S bead maker on both cars.

Took about 3 hours to get them both done.

BAB7A427-C920-48F2-9C33-073EDC47C32B.jpeg

5B0DBAB2-A1CC-44A7-8685-D6E09A4009EB.jpeg

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I washed both cars on Friday afternoon. Was planning on applying Fluid Film to the underside of both yesterday but that didn’t end up happening. Hopefully will get to that this afternoon once the rain stops, as I’m sure the Bears game will be a disaster.

It was sunny and no clouds out at all while I washed the cars. I did a snow foam, and almost immediately rinsed it off. Contact wash was 1 panel at a time, then rinse. Then I used the remaining snow foam to coat the cars again and rinse off again. There were still water spots, especially on the glass.

Dried with an electric leaf blower in the garage with the doors closed and final wipe down with P&S bead maker on both cars.

View attachment 141660

View attachment 141661

For a guy who buys a car every 2-3 years this really isn’t necessary for the fluid film and laying on the floor isn’t your thing brother. You know the Honda old body will be traded in for a new body style Honda accord and vw is not far away from being traded for TYPE R.

giphy.gif

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
For a guy who buys a car every 2-3 years this really isn’t necessary for the fluid film and laying on the floor isn’t your thing brother. You know the Honda old body will be traded in for a new body style Honda accord and vw is not far away from being traded for TYPE R.

giphy.gif
Hahaha that’s a possibility but keeping the GTI is also in the cards.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005

View attachment 141660

View attachment 141661
Were you in Aurora on Friday evening in the GTI?

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
I have cans, I bought a 6 pack, a plastic tarp and a face shield. I have ramps, so I’ll do half the car at a time, hopefully. I’ll wear crappy old clothes that I can toss when I’m done.
So it’s a mess no matter how you do it. I wasn’t sure if there was a different application technique besides spray cans.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
I lit into wifey's A6 tonight after work. Did a quick ONR wash while it was nice out, clay and started tackling the paint that had never seen a correction in 6 years.
I'm having a heck of a time getting the light marring out of it - I started out with this on a white pad:

Really didn't want to cut so I switched to Menzerna IP on a yellow pad:

Started to get some cutting action with this one but I'm having to hit panels 2-3x to get them where they need to be and even then there's still some marring left behind.

Any suggestions from the TCG detail crew on what to try next? I'd really prefer not to have to hit this thing 3-4x to get the light swirls out of it.

I finished it off with a quick pass of this:
This is what it is, nothing outstanding but it's hard to gauge until I get a product that's going to cut through the minor swirls that are left behind.

More to report tomorrow, I'm outta gas for today.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
I lit into wifey's A6 tonight after work. Did a quick ONR wash while it was nice out, clay and started tackling the paint that had never seen a correction in 6 years.
I'm having a heck of a time getting the light marring out of it - I started out with this on a white pad:

Really didn't want to cut so I switched to Menzerna IP on a yellow pad:

Started to get some cutting action with this one but I'm having to hit panels 2-3x to get them where they need to be and even then there's still some marring left behind.

Any suggestions from the TCG detail crew on what to try next? I'd really prefer not to have to hit this thing 3-4x to get the light swirls out of it.

I finished it off with a quick pass of this:
This is what it is, nothing outstanding but it's hard to gauge until I get a product that's going to cut through the minor swirls that are left behind.

More to report tomorrow, I'm outta gas for today.
Great pics.

• Haha
Reactions: Jon01

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
White pad is a polishing pad and has no cut, it's for shine.

I have no experience with that IP so I can't speak on that, but something like Menzerna 2500 on a yellow pad may give better results. Are you maybe rushing it and working too fast and not giving the product time to work?

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
...where to start......................................................................................................................................
Here is a Menzerna polish chart:

1. 3D speed on a white pad is not going to provide much correction AND IT ADDS PROTECTION.
2. Even though the protection in the 3D speed is not that durable, your next step 'polishing' was 1st removing that 'protective' layer thus gumming up your yellow pad. Are you cleaning your pads after 1-2 section passes ?
3. P091E has a cut of 5 ( which on hard german paint is zip ) and a gloss level of 6. Using this as a single step polish would not be my choice.
4. Chemical Guys is a marketing company. Their products are not that great for actual enthusiast detailers who want actual results. Blacklight is a glaze which means it likely has FILLERS.
5. What product are you planning to use as your LSP ( Last step product ) ? Wax, Sealant, Ceramic coating ? I would think depending on the answer, it would not bond well to the blacklight. A panel prep of some sort should be used after the final polishing step no matter what level of protection is being used.

What machine are you using ?
What brand pads are you using ? Different manufacturers have the same colors and the cut level is different.

I can make suggestions but with the current product lineup, I feel that you will be chasing your tail with sub-par results.

Depending on what you want as the end result, 90-100% correction is not feasible unless you want to do a 2-3 step FULL compound, polish and refine.

The marks visible in the pictures look like fine scratches not marring or typical swirls. The 1st picture doesn't look that bad but the light is only concentrated in the one area.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: Aircal and Jon01

Thread Info