đź’¦ Detailing TCG Detailing Thread

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
i just threw up in my mouth a little bit GIF by chuber channel

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
So whats the go to now a days just to dust the car off? My 71 gets sooooo fucking dusty after 2 days in the garage. The car is clean, but due to the dust its attracting it doesnt look clean.
it's too soon after paint to have protection on it, right? I would say just regular quick detailer. I remember you saying the paint needed to offgas for 4 months before final polish by the bodyshop, so until that, any QD should be fine.

Then I would recommend getting it ceramic coated, then the dust shouldn't "stick" as much to paint. I really have been liking the P&S Bead Maker.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
it's too soon after paint to have protection on it, right? I would say just regular quick detailer. I remember you saying the paint needed to offgas for 4 months before final polish by the bodyshop, so until that, any QD should be fine.

Then I would recommend getting it ceramic coated, then the dust shouldn't "stick" as much to paint. I really have been liking the P&S Bead Maker.

Yeah I cant put anything on the paint, QD is fine though, which I have a ton of lol. I also have a gallon of Bead Maker.
I would just like to remove some of the dust prior to using a QD. My OCD wont let me rub all that dust on the paint without removing some of it. I ceramic my DD but my 71 I want to experiment with different waxes and shit

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Yeah I cant put anything on the paint, QD is fine though, which I have a ton of lol. I also have a gallon of Bead Maker.
I would just like to remove some of the dust prior to using a QD. My OCD wont let me rub all that dust on the paint without removing some of it. I ceramic my DD but my 71 I want to experiment with different waxes and shit
You could also use some ONR and give it a quick "wash" that way.

If it's just dusty, you could in theory wash it in under 20 mins.

I have a bunch of these 2L garden sprayers, 1 with Brake Booster and 1 with AMMO Boost for winter wash. The 3rd one I have an ONR type mix in there (I use the Wolfsgange SiO2 rinseless wash) and in addition to mixing up standard ONR in a bucket in a gallon for a wash. A little pre-rinse with the hand sprayer (or in your case for the dust) spray on the panels and wipe dry.

Reactions: Shawn1112

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

How long did your guy tell you to wait? My body guy said with modern water based paints today you don’t have to wait that long if you “bake” it. He said 2-3 weeks and I waited a month before putting protection on my Mustang.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
How long did your guy tell you to wait? My body guy said with modern water based paints today you don’t have to wait that long if you “bake” it. He said 2-3 weeks and I waited a month before putting protection on my Mustang.
30 days for like a normal wax, but no ceramic or anything like that at all. He wants the car to sit in the sun as much as possible. Then late Oct/early Nov, he said it should be fully cured. Then he wants to polish it one more time.

Reactions: blue-sun

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Jason Otterness posted this on FB, I'm probably going, a DIY place is what I want:

It's time to introduce the biggest thing to hit Chicagoland in the car community this year! Self Service Detailing Bay's. Come check them out at our grand opening June 25TH @ 1PM. It's a party, we will have food, a DJ, and some really cool cars. Hope to see you there.

170 Shepard Ave. Suite D, Wheeling, IL 60090
773-786-1662
I went to this today had food, dj, cool space.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Ordered some supplies up.........

I missed my window this year to polish and coat the bmw, normally i try to do it around march/april while the weather is still reasonable, but now it is anything but :LOL: we're well into the monsoon now so every day is some form of high winds/dust followed by just a smidge of rain. In fact currently I cant even see out of my window as rain is streaming down it.

Its not that my car doesn't have any protection on it right now, but I just want something FRESH on it to help get it thru the rest of the year, cuz it's not in great shape at the moment. If everything goes the way its supposed to I SHOULD have a 5 day weekend coming this weekend for 4th of july, so my plan is to give the car a quick (if thats even possible) detail/machine polish and get some fresh protection on it to help cope w/ this shitty fucking weather.

Not going for a FULL paint correction. Just wanna clean the paint up for the new protection, and whatever swirls I manage to clean up will just be a bonus. Going with 3D One polish again and uro fiber pads because I was quite pleased w/ the results w/ that last time I used it. And instead of a full ceramic right now, I'm gonna try out Lithium's ceramic slam spray on coating. Seen a lotta good stuff about it and have always wanted to give it a shot. Was thinking about it more for the GTO since that car doesn't face the same abuse my BMW gets, but this will be a good test.

July with triple digit temps and monsoon weather is NOT the time to be doing this :LOL: but since I dropped the ball this year I have no choice. This environment is really starting to take a toll on this cars paint.

Thread Info