💦 Detailing TCG Detailing Thread

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
I was about to pick that up, until the DEWALT 20V cordless one went on sale. Grabbed that based on YajYak, Greasy, and Gav's recommendation.

i have not used the DeWalt unit.

Porter Cable is an inexpensive unit that can get enough done.

Milwaukee has come out with their own battery operated unit. Waiting for reviews from Obsessed Garage

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
i have not used the DeWalt unit.

Porter Cable is an inexpensive unit that can get enough done.

Milwaukee has come out with their own battery operated unit. Waiting for reviews from Obsessed Garage

I still need to carve out time to try my Ryobi unit. Which Im sure TTI used to perfect and charge double for the Milwaukee. :rofl:

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Jason Otterness posted this on FB, I'm probably going, a DIY place is what I want:

It's time to introduce the biggest thing to hit Chicagoland in the car community this year! Self Service Detailing Bay's. Come check them out at our grand opening June 25TH @ 1PM. It's a party, we will have food, a DJ, and some really cool cars. Hope to see you there.

170 Shepard Ave. Suite D, Wheeling, IL 60090
773-786-1662

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Jason Otterness posted this on FB, I'm probably going, a DIY place is what I want:

It's time to introduce the biggest thing to hit Chicagoland in the car community this year! Self Service Detailing Bay's. Come check them out at our grand opening June 25TH @ 1PM. It's a party, we will have food, a DJ, and some really cool cars. Hope to see you there.

170 Shepard Ave. Suite D, Wheeling, IL 60090
773-786-1662
I posted that months ago

Well, that they were opening that anyway, not the grand opening party

Reactions: Shawn1112

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
I may be hitting that place up in the winter for a hand wash every couple weeks, but for me, the prices are too steep to do anything more than that. I was hoping it would be cheap enough to start doing detailing on the side, but between bay rental and supplies I won't make any money off it. I just need a house with a better/bigger garage

Reactions: Shawn1112

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I may be hitting that place up in the winter for a hand wash every couple weeks, but for me, the prices are too steep to do anything more than that. I was hoping it would be cheap enough to start doing detailing on the side, but between bay rental and supplies I won't make any money off it. I just need a house with a better/bigger garage

I wish the Romeoville location was a little closer to me, I would look into a membership for wintertime. I might try it out once it's open this winter if I feel the need to detail one of our cars.

Reactions: Aron

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Screenshot_20220610-142246_Samsung Internet.jpg

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Depends on the shop or hobbyist doing the work.
Since it's black, it depends on the level of correction you are going for.
If it's been polished before, less aggressive may be the way to go.
A product like Rupes Uno Protect can correct a decent amount and leave behind minor protection ( 3ish months ). A sealant can be used over it.
Or a decent mid grade polish as a single step then followed with a sealant.
I would say you are looking at $350 on the low end and upwards of $1000 on the high end.

Thread Info