đź’¦ Detailing TCG Detailing Thread

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Be sure to use a panel prep before applying the coating.
Car pro eraser should be plenty strong for freshly powder coated wheels. You can wipe them down 2x just in case.

If you opt for the gtechniq panel wipe, spray the product into the towel not on the wheels.

There are plenty of wheel coating videos
Gav details has one :s00ls:
The rag company
Obsessed garage
Auto fanatic
Apex detail

All on the youtubez

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Be sure to use a panel prep before applying the coating.
Car pro eraser
So one of my guys does detailing on the side. He has an IG to promote his biz and he is stuck in the old school ways of doing things and uses shit products.
He is okay, but I wouldnt let him touch my car and he is going to be butt hurt when he sees my car at Ace this weekend getting it ready for WOW. His cliental is a lot of west side dudes that dont know better, as long as their shit looks better (shinier) they are okay with it. Where we want our shit as close to perfect as possible. Cars he finishes still have swirls and or scratches that any of us could get out with the right product and spending the time to do so, again, his clients are happy to see shiny lol.

Anyway about a month ago, he finished polishing a car and washed it before using whatever sealer he was using. He posted it on IG, and I hit him in the DM as I didnt want to put him on blast in front of his crowd. I asked him why he was doing that, and why not buy some Eraser. He argued with me that Eraser is shit, I asked if he ever used it, he said no. So I told him I'd give him some next time I saw him. I gave him a small bottle the next time I saw him, told him how to use it. That MFer went and bought a gallon of it lol.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Prepping the 2010 for sale, engine compartment looks better thanks guys.

1709423490981.png

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
1000007715.jpg

First attempt at waterless rinse washing didn't go too well, but I learned a lot as a struggled. Second attempt went much better and I'm actually pretty proud of the work I put into it. However, I'm still learning stuff and have a couple questions.

The truck has a lot of sections where I'm seeing those polymer spots and they seem to be more noticeable on the last sections I did. I used the same dry towel from start to finish, so I'm guessing that my dry towel was just too wet by the time I was done with it? Should I buy more?

The truck wasn't super dirty or anything, but there was some road grime and poop I didn't notice until I was almost done washing. I would spray some on, lightly wipe with the sponge, and then dry. Unfortunately, the sponge just didn't do anything to the poop and whatever was on the bottom of the doors. I found myself needing to scrub with a rag before drying. It didn't feel right. Is there a certain way I should be tackling that stuff?

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
If I recall correctly, you purchased Gauntlets as the drying towel. These are difficult to wring out if they are not really soaked. They should still dry the surface without leaving streaks when damp/wet.
Were you working in direct sunlight ? How many panels were you working on at a time ?

You mention that you sprayed the rinseless solution and then wiped with the sponge... Did you have a bucket with the rinseless solution in it ? The sponge is not meant to be used 'dry'
The bird dropping should be pretreated with the rinseless wash solution to help loosen it.
Please remember that rinseless washing does not mean a hose / pressure washer cannot be used. It means that there is no need to rinse before drying.

Depending on the 'grime' this is where pretreating with a diluted all purpose clean and/or the rinseless wash comes in. Again, if there is heavy grime, I suggest rinsing with the hose. Dried worm guts, tar, oily residue etc should be treated accordingly.
The last thing you want to be doing is 'rubbing' no matter what stage of the process you are in.

Is there any protection on the vehicle ? Even a wax or a sealant will help the 'ease' of cleaning no matter the wash process.

Reactions: Shawn1112

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Yeah, the sponge is in a bucket. I'm pretreating with the sprayer, then going over it again with the wetted sponge. One panel at a time. Sometimes half a panel at a time.

It sounds like I just need something else for the bug guts and stuff.

This is the first time I've put my hands on this truck. It's gotten the wax cycle in touchless
auto washes but that's it.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
This is the first time I've put my hands on this truck. It's gotten the wax cycle in touchless
auto washes but that's it.
So it’s gotten no wax/protection lol.
Can I ask why your doing a rinseless vs a 2 bucket traditional wash?
Gavs advice is spot on, but personally I’d be doing a 2 bucket wash if the car had all that stuff on it

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
don't i know it. I'm cleaning fuckin polka dots off my car every day.

Im thankful again I dont have a black vehicle. Ran Jeep though touchless was yellowish by the time I got done running around town and back home.

I only get 5 more days with the Jeep before I gotta give it back since Im headed to Philippines.

Stupid work Exploder best be done by the time I get back! :rofl:

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Don't know what a two bucket wash is.

1 bucket has a car shampoo in it and 1 bucket is just clean water.
You would use a wash mitt to clean an area, put the mitt in the clean water bucket to dislodge the dirt, sand, etc.
Then the mitt goes back in the shampoo bucket, repeat for the entire vehicle.

It's a safe way to try and keep the 'wash' bucket clean as well as the wash media ( mitt, pad, towels, sponge etc ).

With a rinseless wash, the 'rinse' bucket is not needed since the chemical pulls the dirt to the bottom of the bucket.
The sponge releases the dirt when squeezed in the rinseless solution.

And the bird droppings and 'traffic film' is 'sticky' because there is no protection on the surface. The wash process is more effective and a lot more enjoyable when the surface is slick ( from a wax, sealant, coating ).

Reactions: Shawn1112

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
1 bucket has a car shampoo in it and 1 bucket is just clean water.
You would use a wash mitt to clean an area, put the mitt in the clean water bucket to dislodge the dirt, sand, etc.
Then the mitt goes back in the shampoo bucket, repeat for the entire vehicle.

It's a safe way to try and keep the 'wash' bucket clean as well as the wash media ( mitt, pad, towels, sponge etc ).

With a rinseless wash, the 'rinse' bucket is not needed since the chemical pulls the dirt to the bottom of the bucket.
The sponge releases the dirt when squeezed in the rinseless solution.

And the bird droppings and 'traffic film' is 'sticky' because there is no protection on the surface. The wash process is more effective and a lot more enjoyable when the surface is slick ( from a wax, sealant, coating ).
is that what I should be doing until I wax or ceramic coat?

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Gotcha. Shows how little I know. I never had a second bucket with clean water.

It's not necessary but it helps. Some 'professionals' will use 1 bucket and 5-6 wash mitts, this way, only clean wash media is used on the vehicle.
There is a DEEP rabbit hole to be found with dialing in a wash process. It's best to find what works for you and stick with it.

is that what I should be doing until I wax or ceramic coat?

That is up to you. Rinseless washing is safe and effective. For a dirtier vehicle, soap and water may provide a better washing experience. Meaning, you can wash and re wash the same area that has stubborn grime with a soapy wash mitt and not feel like you are rubbing aggressively to achieve a clean surface.

Please remember, I suggest rinseless washing for once the GN was coated. A vehicle that is not very dirty and older with older gaskets, seals, weatherstripping etc.
Rinseless can be used on all cars, at any time of year. It is a skill/technique that will get better with experience.
Don't get discouraged. If need be, watch another video or 2 on Youtube. The Rag company, DIY Detail, Apex Detail are great channels that show the process and explain it as they go.

Thread Info