TCG boats & hoes discussion

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
if you're paying cash find something slightly older and midwest with low hours- your money will go farther imo.
Problem is that hull design is 2014-2018 only. I don't like the layout of the previous generation. I expect the market to keep dipping on used boats. I full expect to fine a 2015-2016 for mid $40's from fresh water. Might take some time, but I have it to spare.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
1712801747498.png

Reactions: Yaj Yak

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
The biggest things are going to be hours on the motor and the condition of the transom. It’s a cheap boat but it’s always worth getting a marine survey. Assuming it’s also a saltwater boat given your location and anything I/O would give me the heebie jeebies.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Called the park we always launch from thinking I could get a slip. “Uh, hah, yeah… uh you have to be online ready. All of our slips sold out in 20 minutes when we opened registration on Jan 4. The wait list has two people ahead of you but all the people who got slips are regulars and they very likely won’t cancel.”

WHELP. Always next year. Still need to get the boat out of storage.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
The biggest things are going to be hours on the motor and the condition of the transom. It’s a cheap boat but it’s always worth getting a marine survey. Assuming it’s also a saltwater boat given your location and anything I/O would give me the heebie jeebies.

Pretty sure id be askin to have it in water before buyin. :dunno: Im such a rookie I should just do boat share at the various marinas around here like coworker does.

Pontoon 1 week.
Fishing boat next.
Speed boat in Norfolk.

Hes all over boatin for pretty cheap.

Hubbard 0

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm looking for recommendations on a person / shop that will do bottom paint and a full boat buff / polish? Boat is 27' Cabin Cruiser.

I have the marina it's stored at getting me a quote on bottom paint but I'm guessing there are mobile guys who might do it for less. Also any idea what I can expect for costs on either of these? I'm going to give buffing a try myself first, but I've never done it before and don't know what I'm getting myself into.

Super excited to get it in the water the first weekend of the season.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I'm looking for recommendations on a person / shop that will do bottom paint and a full boat buff / polish? Boat is 27' Cabin Cruiser.

I have the marina it's stored at getting me a quote on bottom paint but I'm guessing there are mobile guys who might do it for less. Also any idea what I can expect for costs on either of these? I'm going to give buffing a try myself first, but I've never done it before and don't know what I'm getting myself into.

Super excited to get it in the water the first weekend of the season.
It really depends on how oxidized the boat is as to what it would cost but, a boat that size would take me a full day to buff if it wasn’t too bad, you can probably find some one to buff it for 800-1000 bucks on the side, it would probably be 2-3k at a marina

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Find out when the last time the stringers and transom were done, the only boats from the 80’s that don’t need a transom and stringers are the ones that have already had them done, and find out the hours on the motor, boats with big cams need valve springs at a minimum around 200 hours

I really need to go see this in person and Id love to see it in water. Problem is Im about to go to the Philippines for 3 weeks.

Hubbard 0

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
It really depends on how oxidized the boat is as to what it would cost but, a boat that size would take me a full day to buff if it wasn’t too bad, you can probably find some one to buff it for 800-1000 bucks on the side, it would probably be 2-3k at a marina
I don't really know how to gauge the condition, but it's pretty dry and dusty. If I can just get the sides above the water line done before it goes into the water on May 3rd or so, I'd be fine with finishing the top sides from the dock.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I don't really know how to gauge the condition, but it's pretty dry and dusty. If I can just get the sides above the water line done before it goes into the water on May 3rd or so, I'd be fine with finishing the top sides from the dock.
If you want to learn to buff the sides are the best, nice open area to practice on, get a high speed buffer and a white 3m wool pad and some wizards turbo cut, start with the buffer turned down about half way as you get comfortable you can turn it up it will cut faster the higher the speed, try to keep the pad as flat as possible, every time you are ready to add more compound clean the pad with a screw driver or pad cleaner it will help keep the buffer from pulling you around and make in easier to control if you keep the pad clean

Thread Info