TCG Bicycle Bros Enter - V.inner tube woes

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I have a Trek Verve 2 with H5 700/45 Bontrager tires. I've gone through 3 inner tubes in the last few months. The first one developed a leak on a seam, couldn't even see it with the bare eye. The 2nd tube had a visible pin hole, both leaks were on the inner wall, not tire side. And as I was replacing the 2nd one today, I start pumping it up and the tube blows at 40psi. It scared the shit out of me. I checked the wheel to see if there are any sharp pieces or rough points. I checked the tire too and there don't appear to be any issues with it.

I'm at a total loss, super annoyed that I'm going through these tubes so much.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
Back during my riding days. I used to always wrap my rims with the cotton tape to cover the spoke holes and I always used Mr Tuffy liners. I hardly ever got flats with those products. Make sure youā€™re not accidentally pinching the tube when reinstalling the tube and tire. Sometimes it happens with the tire removal tool and you wonā€™t even realize it. I always put a small amount of air in the tube just to give it shape so as to minimize pinching when installing a new tube.

Also check the seam where the two ends of the rim are fused together and check the valve opening. Once in a great while Iā€™d find a small burr or sharp edge when working on customers bikes back in the day.

View attachment 156775
View attachment 156776

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
I forgot to post these above.

IMG_3537.png

IMG_3539.jpg

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Back during my riding days. I used to always wrap my rims with the cotton tape to cover the spoke holes and I always used Mr Tuffy liners. I hardly ever got flats with those products. Make sure youā€™re not accidentally pinching the tube when reinstalling the tube and tire. Sometimes it happens with the tire removal tool and you wonā€™t even realize it. I always put a small amount of air in the tube just to give it shape so as to minimize pinching when installing a new tube.

Also check the seam where the two ends of the rim are fused together and check the valve opening. Once in a great while Iā€™d find a small burr or sharp edge when working on customers bikes back in the day.

View attachment 156775
View attachment 156776

I think the bike shop that assembled it put that tape on the inside already.

As far as installing the new tube, I put some air in the new tube, but not fully inflated. I'd then put the tube into the tire and mount it to the bike. Maybe I should just fill the entire tube before I put it on to make sure I didn't pinch it somewhere. I also bought some tire patches. I can probably patch these small little holes and the tire patch is cheaper than a whole new tube. Of course if the patches don't hold, that's wasted money.

Bob Kazamakis

Iā€™m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Iā€™m guessing itā€™s got nylon rim strips which always fuck up tubes. Also tubes in general are junk, Iā€™d be buying something quality. Nowhere did he state brand of tubes.

Iā€™d say the majority of things I work on these days are tubeless, thereā€™s a reason :dunno:

Bob Kazamakis

Iā€™m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
It's definitely some kind of red tape. Not sure about where it might have been located, I wasn't that careful in taking the tube out. I guess next time I will pay attention.
Iā€™d put a piece of duct tape over that section and poke your valve hole thru to be safe.

Or just get rim tape vs the strip.

Reactions: blakbearddelite
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info