Tale of 2 Hondas

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
Buddy bought the motor out of my totaled hatch, heres the chaos that ensued yesterday:

IMG_2793.jpg

IMG_2794.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2796.jpg

IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2799.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

IMG_2802.jpg

wiring for my buddies car is gonna be a nightmare, my car was OBD0 with an OBD1 motor, so the wiring harness for the motor was spliced into my ecu, his car is OBD2, so it should be a fun time with all the gremlins we are likely to encounter

B serious

Regular
Jan 18, 2009
ILLNOISE
Your friend's car is not OBD2. It's OBD1.

You're going about the wiring the most complicated way possible. Dont.

Do this instead:

-Remove the harness from your D16Z6 (or whatever the motor is).

-Install the OEM EG's engine side harness onto the engine. It doesn't matter which D series or B series engine was originally in there. Just plug all the plugs into the new motor. I'm guessing you have OBD1 injectors and manifold sensors on the engine already.

-There's 2 wires you'll need to run for VTEC if the car wasn't originally wired for VTEC. You pin them into the ECU via a wiring diagram found in any haynes manual. I have no idea which ECU you're running, though. There were no single cam VTEC OBD0 ECUs. Get a P28 from ONE6 or somewhere...they're around $100-125. I think I might know where you can get one for around $100 if Mark at ONE6 says he doesn't have any. Buy a virgin ECU.

The whole running 2 wires and pinning process should take you around 15 mins. For reals.

That's a SHITLOAD easier than wiring an entire harness. Trust me.

If you really want to make it easy, you can always go out and find a 92-95 EX or Si in a junkyard (it's common). Remove the engine harness and the dash side harness (the one that goes up to the fire wall). Install. Enjoy. You might have to splice a few wires for the stuff that runs up into the dash. You can match them color for color. IIRC, there's about 7 wires there total. Try to find a manual car. It's much easier that way.

**TIPS: The TPS and MAP plugs are exactly the same plug on 92-00 cars. So don't mix them up. Use a wiring diagram with wire colors to make sure it's right. The MAP is also firewall mounted if the EG is anything but a Si or EX or VX. You remove the firewall mounted MAP and use the Throttle body mounted MAP that is used on all 92-00 VTEC engines.

The Coolant Temp Sensor and VTEC solenoid plugs are also the same. The coolant one is usually gray. The VTEC one is usually green. But again...use a wiring diagram with wire colors so you don't mix the two up and get a code for CTS reading -40 degrees.

I've done about 15,000,000,000 similar swaps in my garage. LMK if you need any clarification or help.

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
His car is OBD1, That motor is a drop-in swap, just pull the engine harness out of a 92-95 Civic EX or SI, It will plug right in... You can even run the car with a P28 ECU *again, 92-95 EX or SI ECU*

my car had a p28 with a jumper harness, so were just gonna put mine into his, and to b serious its a JDM D15B, does this affect anything that u said

Thread Info