Taking a stock 4L60 into overdrive at WOT?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
After seeing a mild cam/head WS6 running mid-140s at the Omega half-mile, I'm getting the itch to throw caution to the wind and sign up the TA for the fall event, if they decide to return.
[MENTION=377]Shibby50[/MENTION] Your magical stock transmission has handled this before?

My car makes 390/375 to the wheels, 3.73 gear, Yank 3600 and stock as a rock 4L60 with roughly 25,000 miles on it. If the trans goes, it goes. I just wouldn't want a catastrophic failure that would lock up the trans at high speed. Would probably trailer the car down there.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
You will be fine. You will barley be getting into 4th. No power adder all motor. I see no issues unless your transmission already has some sort of hidden issue already. I did the same last year at omega

That and both our cars are setup for quite a bit of spray.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
You will be fine. You will barley be getting into 4th. No power adder all motor. I see no issues unless your transmission already has some sort of hidden issue already. I did the same last year at omega

That and both our cars are setup for quite a bit of spray.

your car shifted into 4th at wide open throttle?

it's not if he's "barely getting into 4th", it's the fact that the a shift that never happens at WOT... is happening at WOT

im curious to see what people think of this as well.

I know that the 4t65e guys have this worry as well. i was ringing out 3rd pretty hard when i was at the half mile at around 140 mph.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I didn't have an issue? Granted my car is tuned obviously as well as a shift kit. I did 7 or 8 runs last year. Each one performing the shift without issues. I shift between 6800 and 6900 rpm

This year I was planning to spray through all 3 years. 2nd through 4th to achieve my goal

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I didn't have an issue? Granted my car is tuned obviously as well as a shift kit. I did 7 or 8 runs last year. Each one performing the shift without issues. I shift between 6800 and 6900 rpm

This year I was planning to spray through all 3 years. 2nd through 4th to achieve my goal

i didn't realize your car was shifting WOT into 4th last year. how fast did you go?

your trans is relatively stock too right?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
One of the reasons I tend to agree, at least in my particular situation, is that the shift points are set relatively low. And it seems a lot of automatic failure tends to happen once you start spinning the motor up much higher.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
The problem here is that everyone's failure point is different, especially on these cars. Some transmissions have gone a long time, some fail instantly, some 10 bolts fail stock, mine has gone 2 seasons of 11s and half mile events and street time.

You can use us as an example and you could be perfectly fine, or your first pass it could let go. It's really hard to tell.

If you are really concerned about it I would just call FLT and get their stage 5 Trans with some of the extras

Camarokid327

Fear of speed bumps but slowly getting over them.
Jul 24, 2013
Chicago
My stock 4l60e with a Yank SS3600 and large cooler gave up on me while just casually driving down Rt59 last summer. (lost all gears) It had ~60K miles on it and it did not live a hard life. Some let go under stock power and others handle heavy abuse like a champ, you just never know with these.

I too think you should be fine with your power level though. I would pick up a trans temp gauge to monitor things as well, if you don't have one already.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Trans has held up well to 30 or so dragstrip passes so far and 18,000 miles with the converter. I have an OBD wi-fi scanner I use to monitor general temps. It's not as fast as a legit scanner but gets the point across.

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
Didn't even see this until now. Yeah I haven't really had any experience going into OD at WOT but maybe a few times on some back roads.
As stated, everyone's failures are different, but I don't see anything making yours more probable than others. Especially after seeing Dan's do it all last year at the event.
I was more than prepared to 7k WOT spray shift mine if it didn't rain :rofl:
But yes I have the unicorn Trans apparently.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
4L60Es are a dice roll. Even built ones IMO. I'd want a boost valve, vette servo and shift reprogramming kit before I did anything like that. Since you have a high performance model chances are your pump rings are probably already of the hardened variety although I'd swap in Transgo parts if I had it down.. I'd imagine you've already worked around limitations (in the 700R4 they were in the VB, probably in the ECU on a 60E) with speed limiting correct?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
[MENTION=53]Turbocharged400sbc[/MENTION]

What do you think? Any technical info you can provide beside "just because"?

fuckit

tumblr_mxohh39tMg1qmj83do1_250.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info