Tahoe maintenance - Time sensitive

skeezer

TCG Elite Member
Jan 3, 2008
Luke's Beef
I'm approaching 40,000 on the Tahoe and it's not feeling like it's perky self lately. It's starting to feel sluggish and hesitate from a stop on the initial throttle. It would feel like this towards the end of the oil change cycle, but I have less than a 1,000 miles since the last oil change. I suspect something is getting crummy.

I figured I'd do some maintenace on the truck tonight before the long trip tomorrow to Memphis. Please help me make a list of tasks to perform to enhance the performance of the truck in it's stock form.

* spark plugs / wires
* air fliter
* oil change
* fuel filter
* clean MAF

I'd imagine I should do the trans fluid as well, it hasn't been changed since I bought it new in August 2007.

Help a brother out.

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
Plugs definitely- I do them yearly regardless.
Wires never need replacing.
Inspect cap and rotor.
Check your throttle cable play.
Take the intake hose off the throttle body, pull the plate open, and clean the inside surface with some carb cleaner on a paper towel.
Air filter sure...if not too dirty just blow some compressed air from the back side.

Check your manual for the fuel filter replacement interval.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Inspect cap and rotor.
Take the intake hose off the throttle body, pull the plate open, and clean the inside surface with some carb cleaner on a paper towel.
Air filter sure...if not too dirty just blow some compressed air from the back side.

Yeah I'm going to go ahead and disagree here. Wires go bad, heat and time can have very adverse effect on rubber products. It would probably be worth the 15 minutes to stick a multimeter on the wires and make sure they are still good. It's free insurance. As for Seafoam, I've used it with little improvement. It'll do a little bit, but the only way to clean out the intake manifold is to rip it off and clean it out manually.

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
Yeah I'm going to go ahead and disagree here. Wires go bad, heat and time can have very adverse effect on rubber products. It would probably be worth the 15 minutes to stick a multimeter on the wires and make sure they are still good. It's free insurance. As for Seafoam, I've used it with little improvement. It'll do a little bit, but the only way to clean out the intake manifold is to rip it off and clean it out manually.

Meh, wires will outlast most engines.
Sure, if a wire is that old that it's cracked and arcing...then go ahead and change it...it's one of those items that people place too much importance on.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Inspect cap and rotor.

WTF? LOL

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Inspect cap and rotor.

Newer GM's have electronic ignition systems, no distributor cap / rotors here.

Also, his truck is a newer motor and also has electronic throttle body

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info