Tahoe maintenance - Time sensitive

skeezer

Admin
Admin
Reaction score
I'm approaching 40,000 on the Tahoe and it's not feeling like it's perky self lately. It's starting to feel sluggish and hesitate from a stop on the initial throttle. It would feel like this towards the end of the oil change cycle, but I have less than a 1,000 miles since the last oil change. I suspect something is getting crummy.

I figured I'd do some maintenace on the truck tonight before the long trip tomorrow to Memphis. Please help me make a list of tasks to perform to enhance the performance of the truck in it's stock form.

* spark plugs / wires
* air fliter
* oil change
* fuel filter
* clean MAF

I'd imagine I should do the trans fluid as well, it hasn't been changed since I bought it new in August 2007.

Help a brother out.

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
ehhh on the trans fluid. Cleaning the MAF would be a good idea as well and is cheap/free and quick maintenance.

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As high as that truck sits it wouldn't be a problem.

James

Reaction score
Plugs definitely- I do them yearly regardless.
Wires never need replacing.
Inspect cap and rotor.
Check your throttle cable play.
Take the intake hose off the throttle body, pull the plate open, and clean the inside surface with some carb cleaner on a paper towel.
Air filter sure...if not too dirty just blow some compressed air from the back side.

Check your manual for the fuel filter replacement interval.

James

Reaction score
I've never used the stuff, but did buy a bottle of it recently to try on my carb'd bikes.
I'm more worried about where to do the smoke show than if it'll hurt anything....it seems everyone in the world has nothing but good things to say about it.

E

Reaction score
did wonders on the eclipse. The only hard part is getting the break booster line off. I should do the seafoam on the evo

James

Reaction score
did wonders on the eclipse. The only hard part is getting the break booster line off. I should do the seafoam on the evo
Did you add any to the fuel tank...1oz per gallon of gas.
They say you can add it to the engine oil....but fuck that.

Primalzer

Reaction score
Inspect cap and rotor.
Take the intake hose off the throttle body, pull the plate open, and clean the inside surface with some carb cleaner on a paper towel.
Air filter sure...if not too dirty just blow some compressed air from the back side.

Yeah I'm going to go ahead and disagree here. Wires go bad, heat and time can have very adverse effect on rubber products. It would probably be worth the 15 minutes to stick a multimeter on the wires and make sure they are still good. It's free insurance. As for Seafoam, I've used it with little improvement. It'll do a little bit, but the only way to clean out the intake manifold is to rip it off and clean it out manually.

James

Reaction score
Yeah I'm going to go ahead and disagree here. Wires go bad, heat and time can have very adverse effect on rubber products. It would probably be worth the 15 minutes to stick a multimeter on the wires and make sure they are still good. It's free insurance. As for Seafoam, I've used it with little improvement. It'll do a little bit, but the only way to clean out the intake manifold is to rip it off and clean it out manually.
Meh, wires will outlast most engines.
Sure, if a wire is that old that it's cracked and arcing...then go ahead and change it...it's one of those items that people place too much importance on.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Inspect cap and rotor.

WTF? LOL

E

Reaction score
Did you add any to the fuel tank...1oz per gallon of gas.
They say you can add it to the engine oil....but fuck that.
Never added it the fuel. I figured fuel has enough cleaner in it.
As for the oil? Same reason

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I sucked that stuff through a vacuum line once. Let it sit for 10 minutes then start it up again, smoke show. Supposably it can mess up your O2 sensor though so i don't know if you'd want to do that tonight.

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
Inspect cap and rotor.

Newer GM's have electronic ignition systems, no distributor cap / rotors here.

Also, his truck is a newer motor and also has electronic throttle body

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is accurate information.
I swapped in my old O2 sensor last time i did it just in case. They also recommend changing the plugs after you use it.

skeezer

Admin
Admin
Reaction score
James was trying to be helpful. He doesn't claim to be a GM techician. I appreciate his input.

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
I was simply explaining something, not trying to start anything. :dunno:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom