• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical T56 getting noisy

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I'm starting to get some loud whining and chattering from the trans.

When I clutch in I can feel/hear kind of a few thumps, also the gears are getting pretty loud, almost when you hear a semi down shifting and the gear whine thag comes with it.

It's coming out during winter for blocker rings and synchros but I want to figure out the noises now to replace shit when I'm in there.

This is my first manual trans and I do not work on any at work so am fairly unfamiliar here with diagnosing

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Some of the noises could be the throwout bearing. I remember when my first one went bad and I could have sworn I needed a trans, but just the bearing. Yours seems a little more than that, but I’d replace regardless. Could any of it be diff noise?
Ah yes that is possible culprit.

All at my feet/firewall area

Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
The T56 tend to get loud as they wear, mostly front input bearing, but Ive seen wear in the midshaft also cause this. Even with a rebuild, whine noise may still be noticeable, as the gears have formed their pattern over time, kind of like a rear gear. Some transmission, like the Magnum tend to whine right out of the box.

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Your issue sounds like it's the throwout bearing if it's only noticeable when you press the clutch down.

Not sure about the stock T56's but the brand new T56 Magnum I have in my car sounds like a box of rocks anytime I have the trans in neutral with the clutch out. Talking to a bunch of guys at Power Tour and some of the other meets I've been to it sounds like it's pretty normal for a T56. Mine also developed the whine this year now that I have about 4,000 miles on it. They can really take a beating though at least

Reactions: 01bluesnake
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info