• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Synthetic ATF?

Edmond

Reaction score
Has anyone switched to synthetic?

I've read that it could possibly get you smoother shifts and slightly better mileage.

How much % wise of the ATF would I get out by just dropping the pan?

phat_ridegt

TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
well dry a trans holds something like 12.1 qts, usually you get 6-8 out when dropping the pan. ive never used sythetic, but i would recommend the mercon 6. ive heard its sythetic but it doesnt say it on the bottle. $$$$ though. something like 6-8 bucks a quart.

Edmond

Reaction score
Did you get smoother shifts?

I'm thinking about switching to Amsoils Universal ATF. It's about $7.00 a quart. If I can get smoother shifts and slightly better mileage, I think it'd be worth it.

Is the gasket the old cork style or is it the plastic style?

I have about 60,000 miles on the car. If I decide to drop the pan, should I also change the filter as well? I've never taken a pan off a car with less than 120K on it.

phat_ridegt

TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
Did you get smoother shifts?

I'm thinking about switching to Amsoils Universal ATF. It's about $7.00 a quart. If I can get smoother shifts and slightly better mileage, I think it'd be worth it.

Is the gasket the old cork style or is it the plastic style?

I have about 60,000 miles on the car. If I decide to drop the pan, should I also change the filter as well? I've never taken a pan off a car with less than 120K on it.
[/b]

i didnt noitce any shifting differences because it is what is used in the new zzp tranny's. however i know that GM stands behind it as being a great upgrade to the dexronIII.

the gasket is neither cork or plastic. it is a rubber/metal mix and you should def. re-use it unless it is flawed/broken/bent but 99% of the time they are re-useable.

theres absolutly no reason not to change the filter ANYTIME you have the pan down on the trans. its only 10 bucks if that, and cheap insurance for you 60 dollar fliud as well.

Edmond

Reaction score
the gasket is neither cork or plastic. it is a rubber/metal mix and you should def. re-use it unless it is flawed/broken/bent but 99% of the time they are re-useable.

theres absolutly no reason not to change the filter ANYTIME you have the pan down on the trans. its only 10 bucks if that, and cheap insurance for you 60 dollar fliud as well.[/b]
Thanks for the info about the gasket.

That makes perfect sense about the filter. Makes me think I should've picked one up last night at the Amsoil warehouse. :(

JJ91284

Reaction score
I thought all ZZP tranny's use GM's new Dextron VI fluid and not Amsoil Fluid

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom