Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Benchmade = quality.

Illinois knife laws suck.

For a related story, I was at a household goods auction for the first time last Friday. There were four handguns, a revolver and three automatics. A Sig Sauer 9 Mil. went for $480. A .22 automatic went for $150. I asked how you get them and was told you pay for them same as anything else and pick them up after the auction. No FOID.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Damn, that's a pretty knife.

Problem with pretty knives is you hate to use them. I have several that I won't use for cutting things like wire.

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score
So I was looking at this earlier today. What constitutes a "switchblade"? One that protracts in line with the handle? Or any blade that is spring assisted with a button push? Because I've had that S&W knife for a loooooong time that's spring assisted, button operated.

Like I give a fuck.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any full-auto opening blade, whether out the front or out the side like a normal folder would, but with complete spring assist released by a switch.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:bigthumb:

Yeah, but then again, blade length is still an issue regardless of this new law. MANY knives are well over the legal limit in IL... as long as you're not waving it around in public around weirdos, you're fine I guess. :dunno:

I have a weird stiffy for this Microtech Halo knife....

Bitter

Rigid Member
Reaction score
All I carry are assisted openers anymore and I've often wondered just how picky they are about that, I'm concerned that with this law I could be potentially more at risk for carrying a perfectly legal knife. Now that switch blades are legal with a FOID it makes me wonder if they'll be looking more closely at other knives too?

Fish

From the mean streets....
Donating Member
Reaction score
Benchmade = quality.

Illinois knife laws suck.

For a related story, I was at a household goods auction for the first time last Friday. There were four handguns, a revolver and three automatics. A Sig Sauer 9 Mil. went for $480. A .22 automatic went for $150. I asked how you get them and was told you pay for them same as anything else and pick them up after the auction. No FOID.
Semi auto or full auto? Full auto requires lots of paperwork and money. I dont know a ton about reselling laws, but I dont think a full auto can be sold at an auction like that.

I also questioned how legal my S&W spring assisted knife was. I dont think its technically a full auto, but the thing flips open in a hurry. :rofl:

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
What is the current blade length restriction?

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score

Bitter

Rigid Member
Reaction score
I also questioned how legal my S&W spring assisted knife was. I dont think its technically a full auto, but the thing flips open in a hurry. :rofl:
I remember reading that Wisconsin interprets ANY knife that opens by any action other than you opening it is a switch blade and illegal, I'm not sure how accurate or legal that view actually is. I read up on this stuff a few years back before I started to EDC my DLC Leek. I've added another knife to the collection now too, a discontinued older version of the CKRT MyTighe. I modified the assisted opening spring to apply more pressure on the blade earlier on so it opens with less input, for a heavier blade it pops right open pretty fast. I keep that one on my hiking backpack if I need a heavier knife than the Leek for something or I need the serrations.

ragingclue

Donating Member
Reaction score
I still have my bayonet from Iraq, a switchblade would probably be a better carry knife.

They need to fix that blade length restriction though. 3.5" is dumb.

I like that Microtech but that's a huge bitch. The benchmade is nice, a reasonable 4" restriction would still allow it I believe.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Reaction score
This is awesome news!

Thinking Benchmade Bedlam is going to be my choice. While Microtech have great knives, I don't think a knife that costs over $500 is a good option for a carry knife.

You can get a high quality auto knife for <$200 by Benchmade, Spyderco, etc.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
guys please remember to leave these in your cup holders before you get on the train and go to the office.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom