Swing arms-------GSX-R

willsmysticcobra

Classifieds Mod
Mar 3, 2006
Algonquin
I am thinking about keeping my mint 03 750 GSX-R and have been wary to modify it. Today, I rode out with a friend to Lake Geneva and he was on his stretched cbr. We switched bikes for a little while and I really believed the misnomer that stretched bikes couldn't handle the turns and were STRICTLY drag bikes. Not so. I was able to hold a pretty nice line through out some medium turns a few miles along the lake.

My question is is it worth buying the swing arm extenders that go in your chain block slot, or going with a new, premade swing arm assembly. Also, is it common practice to have links added in or straight up replace the chain. ( My bike has just over 7k miles on it.)

appreciate any input guys

here is what motivated me today:
561800_10150746977150926_576175925_11942551_406116391_n.jpg

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
There's nothing wrong with blocks at first, just to see if you like it or not, plus you can take them off and easily go back to SWB if you want to without changing the whole arm. Plus you're not gonna do much racing at the strip so there's no need to spend the cash on an arm. If down the road you decide you want, you can do an arm.

I'd recommend just replacing the chain. After 7k miles it's probably about ready anyway.

There's kits out there with the blocks, brake line, and chain, but the chains are usually generic off-brands and you're better off spending the extra money on a good quality chain.

I found the blocks and chains themselves on Amazon for a good price, then extended brake line at A1Asportbike.com.

KAR

Rip Riski
Jan 4, 2010
Elk Grove
The cheapest blocks aren't the best choice as I've heard stories and read stories of other people getting blocks that the company doesn't use the best metal that they can. These stories that I've heard are of the blocks cracking. Blocks are a great choice for an inexpensive way to stretch the bike and I'll be doing that when I get my new bike as I won't have the coin for a swing arm. A swing arm is the best choice for stretching but definetly not the cheapest and easiest.

Pretty much in the end I agree with most of what Aron said, new brake line, new chain, and start off with blocks and see how much you like it.

rafa

Mar 26, 2012
For cuirsing around you will be fine with just blocks.
But like said before, try not to go with the cheapest set out there, ive seen some really por quality ones.

Chain the best choice is to replace it, or else you will have a inconsistent chain, part the old one which is stretched already, and part a new one.

That being said, i would keep the bike SWB

And 150hp sound about right depending of the dyno. People keep thinking their bikes make 200 whp, when they dont lol.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
The cheapest blocks aren't the best choice as I've heard stories and read stories of other people getting blocks that the company doesn't use the best metal that they can. These stories that I've heard are of the blocks cracking. Blocks are a great choice for an inexpensive way to stretch the bike and I'll be doing that when I get my new bike as I won't have the coin for a swing arm. A swing arm is the best choice for stretching but definetly not the cheapest and easiest.

Pretty much in the end I agree with most of what Aron said, new brake line, new chain, and start off with blocks and see how much you like it.

I know the Fuqua blocks are good quality, I've seen them recommended quite a bit at psychobike. The only reason they are so cheap is they are made in house, and like I said they are only sold unfinished, aka not polished or chromed.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Roaring Toyz makes great complete kits for a good price. I like mine, and it lets me see if I like it before spending the money on a complete arm which is alot of $$$

This is my 06 this is 8" stretch, and my bike is slammed.
35816355733.jpg

Yeah, roaring toyz sells the whole kit, but like I said they sell cheap ass chains with that kit. The LAST thing you want to cheap out on is the chain. Snap that and you could do some serious damage to your leg, your passenger's leg, or take out the water pump on the bike.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info