Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
https://youtu.be/bTIcQMwYC1o

Filmed on 4 December at Hahei Beach on the Coromandel peninsular, New Zealand. I was watching a pod of orcas swimming up the beach, I saw a swimmer swimming along shore directly towards them, at this point I asked my partner to get my mobile phone as I wasn’t sure what would happen and I may have to call for help. The orcas circled her and she got quite the fright. She then got out the water as she was only 20m from shore. Some on lookers chatted to her about the experience and then to my surprise she got back into the water and swam back towards the pod, to I assume continue her training swim. I then launched the drone and filmed from a fair distance away making sure not to disturb the pod of orcas. What I witnessed was truly amazing.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Wow, she didn't even bother to start swimming ashore. There would have been a trail of brown water behind me.

It really shows you how futile it would be for a person to try and outswim a shark. Those orcas were just casually swimming and easily overtaking her.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I mean there are worse ways to go...at least your death would make a great story.

"Oh shit, you didnt hear about Mike?! Killed by fucking orcas man. Ya, the willy whale. Crazy right? So whats up with you? Break up with your bf yet?"

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
"Needing between 150 to 300 pounds of food per day, captive killer whales are fed diets of fish. In the wild, killer whales may eat 375 pounds of food per day as they expend a lot more energy swimming around and hunting their food."

jerbus i wouldn't be keen to go back in

i did read that they don't attack peoples though, some theories being that we don't look like their typical food plus they are picky eaters. one article did mention they have definitely hunted humans they thought were sea lions, but upon recognizing that they weren't, broke off the hunt.

03GTGreen

Cobra Brigade Presidente
Aug 1, 2007
I thought there have been no documented cases of wild orcas attacking humans and all of them were from captive ones...this really doesnt suprise me. They are smart animals and im sure they know the difference between a human and seal...i bet they were more curious then anything

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I thought there have been no documented cases of wild orcas attacking humans and all of them were from captive ones...this really doesnt suprise me. They are smart animals and im sure they know the difference between a human and seal...i bet they were more curious then anything
Yup. Same with dolphins

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)

Fuck even if there was one or two cases I'd have to really chicken shit out not to do it. That had to have been an utterly amazing experience.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I would be scared, and excited as fuck if that happened. I also probably would not get out of the water. I'd keep on swimming. More likely I'd have a heart attack out of excitement than them harming a human.

Orca's don't scare me in the way that Sharks do. Orca's are insanely smart and like dolphin's have defended humans who were in the water. They have crazy good hearing, and vision. So they don't need to take that experimental bite out of you to realize you are not a meal.

Not to say they can't kill you easily.

I remember a Discovery channel episode where they covered how one Pod of Orca's discovered that if they flipped a shark upside down it got paralyzed. Then that Pod taught it to other whales. Thats crazy intelligence.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info