• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Suspension Issue

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
So I've been working on the wife's Grand Am (2003) and when the steering wheel is turned more than half turn going at least 10mph there is a clicking noise that you can hear from both sides of the vehicle, so I replaced tie rod ends and cv shafts (both sides) ball joints are fine, however I still have this noise. I'm not sure where to look from here if anyone has any ideas. Thanks

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
there is a tsb for a chirping type noise is caused by the tire rubbing against the lip the rim.
from what I recall the dealerships were popping the tire beads and RTVing the lip and the tire so that the rubber will no longer rub against the aluminum lip and chirp.... the other solution to that noise for the TSB was to run narrower tires than what the OEM States.
if this is your noise from what I remember low tire pressure makes it worse high tire pressures make it go away

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
doubt it's the swaybar links. usually those would only make noise when going over bumps.
i would make sure the brake backing plates are pushed far enough away from the rotors. if it's a RCH away from the rotor, turning could make them rub, causing a noise. if she picked up some ice on the inside of the rim, that could have pushed the backing plate into the rotor

make sure you check the inside of the rotor, 6 o clock position. i believe the grand ams have a little tab that could also rub

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Bub
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list