Sushi Burrito

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
'Why Not?' Asks Sushi Burrito Owner Of Lakeview's Latest Culinary Mash-Up

AKEVIEW — Sushi purists beware: The sushi burrito has arrived in Lakeview.

Sushi Burrito, 2904 N. Broadway, serves up a hybrid of two very different cuisines, melding the to-go convenience of a burrito with the crisp freshness of sushi.

"The world is changing, still, and why not make a sushi burrito?," said owner Ganzorig Amgalanbaatar. "Everything is just mixing with everything right now. So why not put this together?"

It's not the only "anything goes" concept moving into Lakeview; Torta Haus opened at 926 W. Diversey Pky. earlier this year. The Mexican-German eatery features German pork tortas, wiener schnitzel and bratwurst.

After opening Sumo Restaurant in Lincoln Park two years ago, Amgalanbaatar started searching for a second location. Lakeview customers told Amgalanbaatar that Sumo (now called Sumo Sushi Burrito) at Clybourn and Sheffield was a little out of reach, so he looked for space nearby.

Sushi Burrito replaces Dolce Gelato Cafe, which closed at the end of 2014 after 1½ years in Lakeview. The Lakeview location is styled for mostly take-out orders, although there are booths to eat inside. The casual interior is more relaxed than its Lincoln Park counterpart.

Amgalanbaatar claims to have the first sushi burrito joints in Chicago, but the trend has caught fire in California and Washington, D.C. Sushirrito, which opened in San Francisco in 2010, bills itself as the "original," but so does Jogasaki in Los Angeles.

Four years ago, Chicago-based firm Technomic even predicted the rise of "burrito-inspired" mash-ups. On Friday, The Washington Post heralded the "remarkable rise" of the sushi burrito.

943963_1017639728281604_8872116313850901786_n.jpg

12038204_1012175265494717_7835339062946200978_n.jpg

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Wait, is it just sushi in the shape of a giant burrito? If so, that's not as bad as it sounds. Was thinking it was going to be sushi mixed with re-fried beans, cheese, salsa, sour cream, guac, etc... all wrapped up in a tortilla. That I would avoid...

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Thats just like a Sushi Roll.

To be honest Japan already has something like it. Its called Onigiri. And its basically a rice ball with some filling in the middle, usually a smoked fish of some kind. Then you wrap that in seaweed paper.

I buy them at Japanese markets all the time. The Spicy Tuna is awesome.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
All this talk about sushi makes me wanna goto mitsuwa..

The last time I was at Mitsuwa, I was not pleased with it. The building maintenance has really fallen apart. The shopping mart area is still fine, but the Food Court area and stores really were a huge let down.

Isn't that like way too much raw fish a person should be consuming in one day ? :dunno:

I probably eat twice that when I eat at Kampai.

Which, BTW. Kampai's sushi bar is the BEST sushi I've had in the suburbs. So far no other place compares.

Unless I eat at Hatchi's Kitchen in Chicago. That place is awesome.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
This sounds like the musabi I get from the food truck outside work.

But it's a Hawaiian dish from Sam Choy Poke. Super delicious

Sam Choy's Poke to the Max

If this sushi burrito is as big as a Cheesecake Factory burrito, I'll have to think about it

There are no good food trucks by me. :(

Only Roach Coaches

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info