• Early model GTR

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
nothing says awesome like 3800# and 100 horsepower!

626093_4.jpg

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
For 50-60K that a clean MKIV (do they really go for that now) goes for I would probably end up doing what my buddy did which was get an IS300 and do a NA-T swap on it. He has 20Kish in the car and it makes 1100hp. Even if you had a shop build it out (he did most the work) You'd end up with a lot more car for a lot less coin. He made 690 at the wheels with a billet 67 and went to an 83 later on. BC272 cams, an intake and header were his flow mods and it was through a full 3" exhaust.

Overall though I think the Nissan could have more potential for what it is, but you'd certainly pay more to mod it as of now. The 2JZ is kind of like the Grand National to me, the technology in it is amazing for its time to the point where it is still viable but it's fading compared to new platforms like the GT-R.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
For 50-60K that a clean MKIV (do they really go for that now) goes for I would probably end up doing what my buddy did which was get an IS300 and do a NA-T swap on it. He has 20Kish in the car and it makes 1100hp. Even if you had a shop build it out (he did most the work) You'd end up with a lot more car for a lot less coin. He made 690 at the wheels with a billet 67 and went to an 83 later on. BC272 cams, an intake and header were his flow mods and it was through a full 3" exhaust.

Overall though I think the Nissan could have more potential for what it is, but you'd certainly pay more to mod it as of now. The 2JZ is kind of like the Grand National to me, the technology in it is amazing for its time to the point where it is still viable but it's fading compared to new platforms like the GT-R.

Lexus GS 2JZGTE Twin Turbo Supra Aristo | eBay

rtRzPn.jpg

Rfo9im.jpg

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
did you catch the :s00ls: disease next thing you will want a not quite full size van because they make you turn around and look at it and go :fy: on the way into walmart?

:rofl:

Dunno, I think my Astro van caught the [MENTION=53]Turbocharged400sbc[/MENTION] disease where it's sitting for years on end. Then again it's certainly not stock although that's typically not a :fy: thing any more but more of a :fu: thing.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
did you catch the :s00ls: disease next thing you will want a not quite full size van because they make you turn around and look at it and go :fy: on the way into walmart?

:rofl:

I don't think it's that bad yet. I loved our Astro van, it was clean AF and it was that Maui blue like color that the Lumina Z34's had...but I don't think I'd do that. I did the turn around thing with all of my cars though, and to the naked eye they are nowhere near exciting.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Only on this forum will a thread about GTR and Supra do we end up talking about Astro vans.

Hey, prob partly my fault but I will always admit a soft spot in my heart for the sleeper in virtually any marque or model. The notion of a stock Astro doesn't do much for me, but they're actually a great platform for a build out believe it or not. You could stuff a TBSS powertrain into an early AWD fairly easily and come out ~1000 lbs lighter. That to me is pretty fucking nasty, kind of like the cousin the Sy/Tys never had.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
I love the 81-86 Supras

As for this I honestly don't know. I really like both cars. The Supra is such an icon and so damn sexy. The new GTR is amazing, and can make awesome power.

At that price level there would be quite a few cars that I would go out and drive. See what I like the best and buy it. Some of those would be: C6Z06, GT500, 911, and Viper.

Investment wise I feel like you probably couldn't go wrong with the Supra. So if you got that, got tired of it and wanted to sell it in a few years you would do ok. I feel the GTR may drop a little more.

Thread Info