• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Supercharger oil

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Feb 28, 2009
Hey guys, just wondering about my super charger oil. I've read past threads, and wasn't sure it was enough info.

Is the gm oil the same as the ford oil? There is a huge price difference and I don't want to pay 100 bucks to change my oil.

Thanks!

I would say use what ford recommends.. Saving a few bucks VS a ruined blower is not worth it.. There may be something in the ford oil that is needed you never know. They use it for a reason so I would stick with it.. Trade you some blower oil for that diff brace!!

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I looked for something better than the Ford oil, especially since it's expensive and almost impossible to find.

I now use BP-2380 Turbo Oil and have been using if for 1.5 years. The Supercoupe and Lightning guys have been using this stuff for years and it works great.

One nice thing about it is that it's not considered a "hazardous material" like the Ford oil and can be shipped via UPS. You can get it here.

Full specs on it are here.

CREJoe

Chassis Builder
Jun 15, 2007
Cobra Supercharger Oil

When Chris mentioned getting a fluid change for the blower while his Cobra was at my shop getting some things done, I knew there was a lot of advice and opinion out there about using fluid other than the VERY expensive Ford stuff. Since I don't personally own a Cobra I could not speak to first-hand experience regarding use of a different oil, and, I don’t use customer vehicles as guinea pigs, so I decided to get it straight from the horse's mouth (so to speak). I called Eaton and spoke to a fellow engineer about their recommendation, and also about the less expensive GM oil (and others). After all, they are the ones who manufacture them so who better to get an accurate, un-biased recommendation from… right? I learned from Eaton that the GM oil is the EXACT same formulation # as the Ford stuff. Since I had also seen guys recommending Mobil 1 synthetics, I asked him about it and he told me, and I quote, " Do not use that or any other MOTOR oil in these blowers"! He described what happens if those other oils are used and it wasn't pretty. The GM oil was in stock at my local GM dealer here in DeKalb and was roughly half the price, while the Ford fluid was obtainable the next day by special order. It is important to use the correct fluid.

Just wanted to share this info with you guys.

Joe

sleepercobra

Regular
Aug 14, 2009
When Chris mentioned getting a fluid change for the blower while his Cobra was at my shop getting some things done, I knew there was a lot of advice and opinion out there about using fluid other than the VERY expensive Ford stuff. Since I don't personally own a Cobra I could not speak to first-hand experience regarding use of a different oil, and, I don’t use customer vehicles as guinea pigs, so I decided to get it straight from the horse's mouth (so to speak). I called Eaton and spoke to a fellow engineer about their recommendation, and also about the less expensive GM oil (and others). After all, they are the ones who manufacture them so who better to get an accurate, un-biased recommendation from… right? I learned from Eaton that the GM oil is the EXACT same formulation # as the Ford stuff. Since I had also seen guys recommending Mobil 1 synthetics, I asked him about it and he told me, and I quote, " Do not use that or any other MOTOR oil in these blowers"! He described what happens if those other oils are used and it wasn't pretty. The GM oil was in stock at my local GM dealer here in DeKalb and was roughly half the price, while the Ford fluid was obtainable the next day by special order. It is important to use the correct fluid.

Just wanted to share this info with you guys.

Joe

good stuff

Sharkster

Addict
Sep 17, 2005
I was actually told by Whipple to use the GM supercharger oil in mine.
I had a bottle of both and compared them and they are identical. You just get ripped a new one by Ford when you buy theirs

Go to the hardware store and get a small drill operated pump and some smaller hosing. Stick it down in there to the bottom and pump away. My whipple has a small allen headed port on the bottom to drain the oil out. Im not sure about the Eaton.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
The drill operated pump is a good idea, but if you're a cheapskate, you might want to try a handheld sprayer pump, like the one from a bottle of Windex.

I successfully used one to suck out all the oil from my blower, but if you have arthritis in your fingers, you'll be better off with the drill pump.

Fordman

Oct 30, 2007
Here is a write up on svtp.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/266284-eaton-oil-change-writeup-pics.html

I read through it and asked a question. i thought that oil used in cars was designed for RPMS lower than say 8 grand so how would it not break down in a blower that can do over 17 grand? Brian (posi who ports blowers) said he uses amsoil or something like it.
I too went to the gm dealership in a long black overcoat, big hat, glasses and a fake mustache so my friends would see me and bought the oil. saved big bucks and the oil works great.
CLIFF NOTES: +1 for CREJoe

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info