🔧 BUILD Supercharged C5

General Information

[chapter]Goodbye 335, hello C5[/chapter]

Traded the 335i a couple weeks back and picked up a 00 C5. It was to good of a deal not to, honestly. The Bmw had a rebuilt title, and booked for $9k with a clean title, so i could have probably sold it for around 6 or a tad higher. i traded the car plus $3k on my side.

Car is a 2000 C5, 112k miles, auto, A&A V3 supercharger kit, JBA headers, Magnaflow catback, summit racing balancer, BTR dual valve springs, plugs, msd wires, kenne belle boost a pump, all 4 stabilizer links new, glass targa top and painted top.

Car was dyno tuned in oct 2016 at 498whp at weaponX in OHIO but the car felt slow. drove it home and had my tuner pull the file and it's extremely low on timing so that has me worried, as to why they pulled so much timing out of it. best case scenario, they pulled a lot of timing just to be a safe daily and to save the trans (supposedly it's built, but no proof makes me assume it's stock) worst case scenario, the engine is hurt so they pulled a lot of timing to try and hide it, so i changed the oil tonight and am shipping off a sample to blackstone Labs.

Also, the owner in which i got the car from, paid a shop to install the new summit pulley, but the shop did not pin the pulley to the crank. the previous owner (not the guy i got it from) was the one that modded the car, and initially the pulley was pinned, but the shop did no re pin the new pulley, so now i've got to take care of that sometime soon. other than that, car doesn't have any major issues, speakers sound like shit, and i have to order a new wiper motor. overall, i think i came out like a bandit on the trade, since the SC kit alone cost almost what my car was worth.

sorry for the shit pics, working 2 jobs currently has me very limited for time.

1688935752586.png

mjFJNhM.jpg

CQW5Fwl.jpg

[chapter]Blackstone Results[/chapter]

[chapter]Water Pump Failure[/chapter]

[chapter]Windshield Tinted[/chapter]

[chatper]BT Cam Ordered[/chapter]

[chatper]Tear down Begins[/chapter]

[chapter]Built 4L60 Acquired[/chapter]

[chapter]She lives![/chapter]

[chapter]New Blower - TiV1 / New Fuel Rails[/chapter]

[chapter]Money shots and vents[/chapter

[chapter]New heads - PRC 2.5 243 [/chapter]

[chapter]Slight problem with the diff[/chapter]

[chapter]Putting everything back together[/chapter]

Multiple posts after this one

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
we should meet up sometime for some fun runs when your car is together again

im not local. but if you're ever down in central illinois than i'd be more than willing to.

will the trans be able to handle the power ?

I am currently running a level 2 performabuilt 4l60e that's rated for 700hp. next winter ill probably pull it out and send it in to be upgraded to their level 3 trans. I opted to pay for their 2 year warranty and anytime within the warranty period you can send it in and just pay the difference of the two transmissions.

Nice upgrades, what sort of power are you going to be making?

should be mid 700 to the wheels without getting aggressive on the tune. im going to need more injector and pump to push any higher. Also going to blow up the stock bottom end at some point as i am currently on borrowed time. im stock bottom end, stock heads. but when it goes, i plan to just swap in a 5.3 and sendit

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
new blower installed. i upgraded from the self contained Si unit to an oil fed Ti unit with HD straight cut gears. also went down from a 3.4" pulley on the Si to a 3.25" on the new HU. Haven't thrashed on it much as im still needed to install the new diff (c5 diff with c6z internals and 3.42 gears compared to my current 3.15). also need to install diff mount, fuel rails/lines, and FP gauge. Then ill be getting with my tuner and refreshing the tune.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
not much to update here. still waiting on the tuner for my dyno tune for the larger blower, its obviously running a little lean from last year since last year had a smaller blower and larger pulley. afr at wot is around 12.0-12.3 so im not doing much. i have made a couple of small pulls, but nothing that has amounted to anything, and both times the car left me stranded. just this year i have popped another trans cooler line (situation should be resolved now), popped an IC pipe 4 different times (again, should be permanently resolved), during a quick race i sheared the water pump pulley, and during last night testing i blew out a radiator hose. all this shit has me worried about when we tune it, with my luck, the stock bottom end is probably going to throw in the towel.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
someone mentioned on fb that i may have a bigger issue on hand. they mentioned that it's common for 6.0's to blow a coolant hose when they lift a head and/or blow a head gasket. so now im worried that may have been what happened as this was the first time i revved it that high and made a full pass since the new blower was installed, and the tune hasn't been adjusted for it. any recommendations on how i can diagnose to determine if that's what happened?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
someone mentioned on fb that i may have a bigger issue on hand. they mentioned that it's common for 6.0's to blow a coolant hose when they lift a head and/or blow a head gasket. so now im worried that may have been what happened as this was the first time i revved it that high and made a full pass since the new blower was installed, and the tune hasn't been adjusted for it. any recommendations on how i can diagnose to determine if that's what happened?

I’d imagine if you pressure test the coolant system it would tell you if you lifted a head

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
i replaced the hose and did some diagnosing to try and determine my issue. pulled the plugs and they all looked good. did a compression test and all 8cyl were damn near exactly the same as the compression test that was completed a few weeks prior to the issue. Did an engine combustion leak test via the coolant reservoir (did this a couple of times) and came up negative.

so we went ahead and did some more street tuning to adjust the fueling for the larger blower. we noticed i was blowing coolant out of my radiator cap so we pulled the dipstick and a couple of plugs and they still looked good. nothing in the tune indicated a lifted head either. so i purchased a new coolant reservoir cap so hopefully that solves the issue.

car is running great, otherwise. tune looked good and tuner stated he didn't see any thing out of the ordinary. car is still tuned very safely as my tuner doesn't like pushing FI/E85 cars on the street and prefers dyno tuning them. I am maxing out my injectors (FIC1000's because im not running a boost regulated FPR) but he said when we get on a dyno he should be able to add some timing still and see what the car is happy with. i did notice a leak in the rear end, appears to be from the new diff, axle is flinging grease everywhere, and i have a small coolant leak out of the front (possibly the radiator itself). so im going to pull the diff this weekend to diagnose and resolve, and also replace the axle. the radiator will have to wait a few weeks because the wife is already bitching about the amount of money i have been spending (not just on the car).

A bunch of little shit, but that's to be expected with a 19 year old car with 155k miles that i beat the shit out of and put a lot of miles on.

Thread Info