• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Super strict about MODS at the dealer....WTF

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
So this weekend my shelby is going in for a service visit because there is some plastic panel on my rear deck that is rattling and its getting worse. I searched for it for a few weeks, but I dont want to start ripping into the interior without knowing how to. So I called Buss Ford in McHenry to make an appointment. The service advisor asked what my issue was and what kind of car it was for. As soon as he heard GT500, he stopped me and gave me the warning that if there was ANY aftermarket on my car they would not even touch it for service for anything. He said that Ford is cracking down on warranty claims on these cars because of their money situation and will not warranty any shelby with mods for anything, and the dealer is not to do the work without an SVT inspector to check out the car first. They just called me back and wanted to move my appointment to coinside with the Rep getting to the dealer to check it out. I guess my JBA mufflers and K&N airfilter will have to come out. What bullshit. If they try to deny my warranty work for a rattling interior piece because of a set of aftermarket muffflers that are not even louder than stock, Im going to punch someone. So much for modding anymore.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
They can not deny warranty on the car - as stated above.

What they can do, is flag the car that it has the mods. If the mods placed on the car, can cause a direct impact to the failed component, then yes, they have all right to remove the warranty on THAT/THOSE items. However, they are also able to FLAG the car, as it may have to be inspected to verify the components placed on the car have had no direct impact to the failed part.

At BMW, they'll actually also label the cars "USED FOR RACE PURPOSES - any resulting damage caused by this will not be warrantied", "AFTERMARKET (insert part installed here) - any resulting damage caused by this will not be warrantied"... etc.

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
Come by work "ROTO", i'll make sure the concern gets taking care of without issues about the mods. , most of the techs at my work are mod friendly and the service manager is also cool about mods as long as it's not the cause of the customer concern.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
See the problem is now that the shelby is my DD(for now), I need it back asap and the closest dealer is BUSS. Its like 5 minutes from the house. Victor is not bad, but they will have my car for days. I'll figure something out soon. In a few months, I was planning on getting all the basic mods line pulley/cai/xpipe/port/tune. Now Im scared shitless to do all this. I know the shelby motor is forged and built to last at almost any power level, but the rest of the car is not and if they get nutty about mods now and something completely unrelated pops up Im affraid that wont fix it. My car has over 2.5 years left on the warranty and I probably wont get to the 36k or the 60K for the powertrain.

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
See the problem is now that the shelby is my DD(for now), I need it back asap and the closest dealer is BUSS. Its like 5 minutes from the house. Victor is not bad, but they will have my car for days. I'll figure something out soon. In a few months, I was planning on getting all the basic mods line pulley/cai/xpipe/port/tune. Now Im scared shitless to do all this. I know the shelby motor is forged and built to last at almost any power level, but the rest of the car is not and if they get nutty about mods now and something completely unrelated pops up Im affraid that wont fix it. My car has over 2.5 years left on the warranty and I probably wont get to the 36k or the 60K for the powertrain.

pay to play

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
all extended warranties and manufactuer warranties are getting strict and dont want to pay for warranty work and will do anything to get out of paying. From what I hear at my dealer there are reps always coming in and looking at cars and trucks and suv before they okay the work and make sure they are not modded. Just ask that guy Discussin when he brought his shelby to my job for warranty work on his rearend. We rejected the warranty work...

VNMOUS1

Light fuse, get away.
Nov 22, 2006

PM me with your contact info. Mine isn't exactly a garage queen.

bj

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

More Info:

SEMA SAN - SEMA ACTION NETWORK

avmech

Regular
Aug 7, 2008
I have a 08 saleen and no i dont have a saleen warranty but i still have a Ford warranty. they cant do anything about the motor but they will take care of every thing else. It is really all about the dealer if they want to be douchy or not. So i really dont see a differance. if its just mufflers and a intake then they cant warranty the exhaust system but if you havent touched any thing else then they will have to honor the rest of the warranty.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info