• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Suck or not suck?

MOTOWN

S/C RWHP ADDICT!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 29, 2012
ATLANTA
For a boosted application is it better to use a catch can and PCV and connect to the blower intake or use a catch can with a breather element? I'm afraid the oil buildup that could happen on the blower impeller could throw off the ballance of the impeller not to mention gunk up the intercooler. Thoughts?

A catch can with a breather element is a breather tank, which is what i run, it does give off fumes, and smoke whereas a catch can is a sealed setup.

I like Draft 42s catch can even has a dipstick!:pedobear:

MMBLUE

Regular
Apr 27, 2011
Being an engineer I need a little more explanation than "I would" please. BTW, I got to see cold air intake you made in person this weekend. Nice work!

Who was it that has it? I wonder if it is v1.0 or v2.0. Does it have the see through window ? I've seen both in person and they are truly a piece of art. They require more install intelligence than the average bear hence, the rarity of them.

Sorry for the hijack. Carry on.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I can't see any of the attachments but I think this may be what I want to do. Not a daily driver so some fumes won't be a big deal.

I bought a vented catch can off of eBay and then went to my local auto parts store and picked up some 90 degree elbows for running off the valve covers and some heater hose to run to the catch can. Works great, just remember that both valve covers need to be vented whether you are running straight breathers or a vented catch can.

I bought a vented catch can off of eBay and then went to my local auto parts store and picked up some 90 degree elbows for running off the valve covers and some heater hose to run to the catch can. Works great, just remember that both valve covers need to be vented whether you are running straight breathers or a vented catch can.

Sounds like a plan! Now to figure out if I want to go with an 05 Stang Blade maf and make a blow through or a lightning maf and do a draw though. I like the blow through better for a lot of reasons, especially lag and BOV air but I need ask the local tuners if they can calibrate a blow through.

MOTOWN

Nov 29, 2012
ATLANTA
Here is a pic of my breather tank setup, metco pcv (passenger side), and drivers side vent port are Y blocked to the breather tank.

Draft 42 also has a few ultimate catch cans on sale ($125) with a machining error that wont even be visible once the fittings are added!
Ultimate Oil Catch Can 1/2" NPT

20130528_184152_zps3e5e5a37.jpg

musclemerc

Addict
Jan 6, 2010
Maybe you guy's can help me figure something out. If your running an open element on the can why bother with a PCV valve? I would think the PCV valve would be deemed useless if your venting directly to the atmosphere. The B headed Cobra is setup correct for open element breathers (no pcv valve whatsoever). The setup Motown mentioned is not.

MOTOWN

Nov 29, 2012
ATLANTA
Maybe you guy's can help me figure something out. If your running an open element on the can why bother with a PCV valve? I would think the PCV valve would be deemed useless if your venting directly to the atmosphere. The B headed Cobra is setup correct for open element breathers (no pcv valve whatsoever). The setup Motown mentioned is not.

Please explain why my setup is not? i fail to see your reasoning:riski:

musclemerc

Addict
Jan 6, 2010
I'm sure Ron started this thread here to spark up an old debate on catch cans knowing I was gonna chime in. I don't want to get into an Internet fight on a subject that's old and has been beat to death.

Here's why I think your setup is wrong Roger. I like to equate a functioning PVC system to react the same way an old tea kettle functions. The cap on the kettle is a PVC valve in a sense. The kettle builds pressure (same as an engine does) when the pressure gets too high the cap (or PVC valve) relieves the pressure into the upper intake to be burned with the A/F mixture. All crankcase's will benefit by having some pressure build up in the crankcase. If you run a PVC valve on one side of the cylinder's and Y to the other and eventually vent it to the atmosphere how will the engine build pressure? It can't. So if your going to run an open loop system where is the benefit of having a PVC valve if there is an absence of positive crank case pressure?

Closed loop is another discussion.

Did a little more research and here is what I think the ideal set-up would be. Passenger side valve cover into a vented baffled catch can with no pvc. Driver's side valve cover with PCV valve into a second catch can, non vented. Add a scavenger to the drivers side down pipe in front of the cat using this Vibrant Performance ::.. That way you get all of the benefits of a PVC system with none of the nastiness into your intake tract.

Last edited:

MOTOWN

Nov 29, 2012
ATLANTA
I'm sure Ron started this thread here to spark up an old debate on catch cans knowing I was gonna chime in. I don't want to get into an Internet fight on a subject that's old and has been beat to death.

Here's why I think your setup is wrong Roger. I like to equate a functioning PVC system to react the same way an old tea kettle functions. The cap on the kettle is a PVC valve in a sense. The kettle builds pressure (same as an engine does) when the pressure gets too high the cap (or PVC valve) relieves the pressure into the upper intake to be burned with the A/F mixture. All crankcase's will benefit by having some pressure build up in the crankcase. If you run a PVC valve on one side of the cylinder's and Y to the other and eventually vent it to the atmosphere how will the engine build pressure? It can't. So if your going to run an open loop system where is the benefit of having a PVC valve if there is an absence of positive crank case pressure?

Closed loop is another discussion.

Because a PCV is pointless if vacuum is not pulling on it.

Thats true with some PCVs, some use vacuum to operate, and some do not, some just use different size orfices in the valve to operate.

musclemerc

Addict
Jan 6, 2010
Did a little more research and here is what I think the ideal set-up would be. Passenger side valve cover into a vented baffled catch can with no pvc. Driver's side valve cover with PCV valve into a second catch can, non vented. Add a scavenger to the drivers side down pipe in front of the cat using this Vibrant Performance ::.. That way you get all of the benefits of a PVC system with none of the nastiness into your intake tract.

GREAT! Now you get oil mist under the hood along with the smell of burnt oil from your exhaust. Not ideal but that's just my opinion:dunno:

Why would you run a baffled can with a vent? It defeats baffling it in the first place

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info