Strut Tower Rust

1998gpgt

Reaction score
So I just recently installed strut assemblies at all four corners. In the process of doing so, I found an unwelcome surprise waiting for me. The dreaded strut tower rust has finally come for me. A pic of what my driver side rear looks like is below. The passenger side rear is still clean. I have been reading a lot about this online. It seems as though a wood block is the most cost effective solution. The use of the word solution here is a loose translation.

How long is that actually going to buy me before the car becomes a safety liability? Is there anywhere around here that would try their hand at fixing it without seriously depleting my bank account?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
That's really not that bad, there are FAR worse cars out there likely driving right next to you. The labor involved in properly "fixing" that would probably empty your wallet, I doubt it would be worth having it done. A wooden block fix with some POR15 before it would buy you plenty of time though.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
sorry to see that jim that sucks.

10sec

Donating Member
Reaction score
Oil rusty area? What is this, fucking 1901? Can he use your fuckin' steam engine to power his tools?

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
put trunk panels back in...

... SELL CAR

...buy non rusty one.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
yeah, REALLY good chance you won't find one anymore if the strut towers aren't gone, the rockers are. within 400 miles of here... and if you're going further than that woof... .

Jfrost

Fiero's are addicting
Reaction score
My 2000 GTP had far worse rust in the back than that. Anything 2001 and up shouldn't have the rear rust issues since GM had a larger, updated rear fender liner. Clean and seal as others have said to prevent from getting worse.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
yeah the 2001-03's though will have rocker rust, or trunk lid, or above the rear tires about to pop through. JUNK

Jfrost

Fiero's are addicting
Reaction score
Good point, I was merely talking about strut tower rust. Rust buckets for life

m_dogg

Reaction score
I was putting stb in the back last week, no rust thankfully. Rockers are fine...pinch welds :rofl: not so much and rust is starting to creep on one of the fenders. Not too bad for 14 year old from Illinois.

3800 for life lol

10sec

Donating Member
Reaction score
That's a savable car, you should deal with that this summer before it gets worse. My blue GTP that I used to have was completely rust free. It was an '02 though, that shit was clean.

10sec

Donating Member
Reaction score
Weight is an issue, I used the lightest clamps I could find.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Reaction score
Time to sell it, honestly. And find one from a dry state like I did. I sold my GP because of exactly that..and found my Regal here, but was from CA

1998gpgt

Reaction score
Finally got around to addressing this. I applied a generous helping of POR-15 to the strut tower and hammered in some wood as a precaution. I don't expect this car to last forever, but I should be able to get a few extra years out of it now.

10sec

Donating Member
Reaction score

Xtant12

Reaction score
My 2000 GTP had far worse rust in the back than that. Anything 2001 and up shouldn't have the rear rust issues since GM had a larger, updated rear fender liner. Clean and seal as others have said to prevent from getting worse.
Yeah I don't think my 01 has any on the backs at all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom