Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
link don't like me.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
Twenty years later, Lingenfelter 415 ZR-1's are still relevant in terms of performance. They are quicker 0-150-0 than a new C6 ZR1, and that’s without a supercharger and with fewer cubic inches.
hmmm

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Isn't the 6.2-liter C6 ZR1 engine 376 cubic inches?

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
A stroker kit for a LT-5 isn't cheap. I am sure he built on bad mofo of a LT-5 for that purpose built task.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Reaction score
They're probably thinking it has a 427 like the z06

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Reaction score
Yea I dont know where they get that from. 415>376.
The point is that the C6ZR is supercharged and has about 20+ years of additional technology. The 415 is based on a motor designed in the late '80s and naturally aspirated.
Nobody is saying the C4 could match the C6 at the Nuburgring for instance.

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
Displacements using the stock crank are pretty reasonable for the power they put out.
I remember back in the early 2000's a stroker crank for a 415" was like $6k from Jerry Crews, I believe. I know a few more are out there now. Not that long ago I remember seeing a 500" custom motor being done by NRE. I believe that included a custom billet block as well. They were shooting for 900hp I believe.

I think it is a great motor. A buddy has one going in a third gen camaro that he plans to put twin turbos on. But not many shops even have a deck plate for a LT5 to bore and hone one correctly. There is a added cost to build those motors just because of their limited production. But they do make power. I was trying to talk him into the ASE big bore sleeves for his motor. Hopefully he pulls the trigger soon and gets the engine build going.

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Reaction score
I remember back in the early 2000's a stroker crank for a 415" was like $6k from Jerry Crews, I believe. I know a few more are out there now. Not that long ago I remember seeing a 500" custom motor being done by NRE. I believe that included a custom billet block as well. They were shooting for 900hp I believe.

I think it is a great motor. A buddy has one going in a third gen camaro that he plans to put twin turbos on. But not many shops even have a deck plate for a LT5 to bore and hone one correctly. There is a added cost to build those motors just because of their limited production. But they do make power. I was trying to talk him into the ASE big bore sleeves for his motor. Hopefully he pulls the trigger soon and gets the engine build going.
PR,

We have a very active ZR-1 community here in Chicago. Members in our group have engine configs from the stock 5.7L up to 7.2L. Several of them are using the AES closed deck approach with very good success. Really helps when dealing w the stroke involved. There are several turbo installations on the
LT-5 as well, one of which was done on a 3rdGen Camaro.
So if your friend needs help, point him our way. With the limited production of the LT-5, any performance enhancements for this platform are pretty much DIY. Nelson has shown a billet based block but we've never seen that used w the LT-5 cylinder heads.
And then once you've done all that, there's tuning the car. Needless to say, most tuners aside from Callaway and Lingenfelter have never seen an LT-5.

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
PR,

We have a very active ZR-1 community here in Chicago. Members in our group have engine configs from the stock 5.7L up to 7.2L. Several of them are using the AES closed deck approach with very good success. Really helps when dealing w the stroke involved. There are several turbo installations on the
LT-5 as well, one of which was done on a 3rdGen Camaro.
So if your friend needs help, point him our way. With the limited production of the LT-5, any performance enhancements for this platform are pretty much DIY. Nelson has shown a billet based block but we've never seen that used w the LT-5 cylinder heads.
And then once you've done all that, there's tuning the car. Needless to say, most tuners aside from Callaway and Lingenfelter have never seen an LT-5.
cool. I am sure any help would be appreciated by him. Who do you work for?

I know he will run a stand alone EFI. Too many benefits not to. I am sure it will just take some work to make sure the sensors all work with the system. Most stand alone systems are easy to configure as long as you know the sensor voltage changes for their function.

I did a quick search and this article show the engine. I am no expert on the LT5. I have only checked his out a couple of times in the wrecked corvette he bought. But the article says this is a 500" billet LT5 they were working on.

It sure looks pretty. As well as pretty expensive! haha But how else are you gonna move the bore spacing? lol

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
Oh I have. Many times! hahaha He wants the car to be "different". The headache is all his. lol

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Reaction score
I doubt there's an aftermarket ECM that will run the LT-5 using the stock DIS system. MS has developed a system to do that. For anything running NA, the stock ECM works just fine. Just need to know how to tune.

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hell yea, C4 ZR1 is my dream car. The record for the fastest average speed over the course of 24 hours was set by a ZR1 in 1990! Really makes you wonder how awesome these motors would be today if GM kept making them.

Edit: didn't even see Xfirez recent thread about this until just now

Last edited:

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Reaction score
Hell yea, C4 ZR1 is my dream car. The record for the fastest average speed over the course of 24 hours was set by a ZR1 in 1990! Really makes you wonder how awesome these motors would be today if GM kept making them.
GM seems to have a history of abandoning a platform just as they were getting it right.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Whereas the production LT5 or supercharged ZR1 engine had compromises made in the way of costs, emissions, driveability and milage I'm sure that a Lingerfelter built race engine has has very very little of those factors in mind.

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Reaction score
The 24 hour motor was actually a reject from production. Otherwise completely stock. Lingenfelter did what others like Hennessey or AMS do particularly for a "shootout". And we're talking 16 years ago.

HILROD

Reaction score
I learned some SledgeHammer fact I didn't know. Great video.:jg:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom