• 💡 Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Sticky gm speedometer

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Alright guys I had a weird glitch in the speedometer in our 07 yukon this afternoon. I looked down and thought I was hauling some ass until I came to a stop and the needle stuck a little under 25 mph. When increasing speed the needle would stay the course about that much higher than what I was actually doing. Seemed like it may have been lightly screwing with the transmission shift points as well. Got it home and messing with turning it on and off it came down a little at a time up until I unhooked the battery and at that point it finally zeroed back out and seems to be fine.

It seems to me like it's likely a stepper motor or vss kinda thing but any thoughts would be appreciated. Would an escalade cluster plug right in and work fine? Seems like if ive gotta dick with it I may as well put somethin better looking back in. Don't really care if the miles change as it's already got 250k on it.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I kinda thought maybe steppers as well but I figure if I have the excuse maybe the escalade cluster would be more bougee. The only thing I think might hang me up is where I have the 60e it says prnd321 instead of prndm and I'm not sure what kind of issues that would cause.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I'd say your right on that one, looks like the escalade cluster could be more trouble than repairing the cluster I have. Just snag the stepper motor kit with like 6 motors and leds in it? Are all the stepper motors the same? I'm far from scared to use a soldering iron and may decide to get dumb and throw some color behind the thing if I'm gonna bother taking it apart. If it's done it once its just gonna get worse anyway

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Yeah screw that. I think I'll probably end up doin somethin stupid like this with it while I've got it apart
Screenshot_20221101_171131.jpg

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I'd say your right on that one, looks like the escalade cluster could be more trouble than repairing the cluster I have. Just snag the stepper motor kit with like 6 motors and leds in it? Are all the stepper motors the same? I'm far from scared to use a soldering iron and may decide to get dumb and throw some color behind the thing if I'm gonna bother taking it apart. If it's done it once its just gonna get worse anyway
I’d just buy something with decent reviews on Amazon, I’d guess most of them are the same on there. Was good enough on my Yukon for a year before I sold it

Reactions: sktchy
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info