• 💡 Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Steep Seat Rake

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Appreciate some insight…

Driver’s seat base in my car has a steep rake, highest point is at the front of the seat with lowest point at the back (where one’s buttock sits). The front of the seat is at the lowest setting, though there is still a steep still rake downward towards the back of the seat.

This is resulting in my knees being elevated above my hips, which is causing my left foot to go numb while driving.

Any thoughts on how I can raise the rear of the seat base so that my knees and hips are level / better aligned?

Side note - I did put down a 1” gel pad on the seat base, which did relieve the foot numbness; however, doing so also introduced back pain due to my back no long being aligned to the natural curve of the seat back.

Thanks!

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
What about playing with moving the seat forward? Sounds like that could be the issue if the front of the seat is causing your leg to go numb

I have tried raising the height and forward position, but the seat has a steep valley and the location by the knees (front edge) of the seat is firm (little give).

Believe this to be Toyota’s failure at Recaro seats. 😎

Googling options, see if anything can be done to further lower the front of the seat, have foam shaved off (reducing the rake) or another option is to raise the rear of the seat with washers / high grade longer bolts (say 1/2”).

Looking to see if others here have experienced similar and understand how they have resolved.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I just thought moving it strictly forward would get more bend in your knee

Another Toyota flaw, the dead pedal angle / location compared to the gas and brake places one’s legs at an awkward position when moved extremely forward.

What’s interesting, I have driven the current gen Camry SE with the cloth / faux leather and found the car to be comfortable long distances. Softer material / cushion at the front of the seat and less rake.

Thread Info

• Blood on Blood
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list