State Police are intentionally delaying CCW implementation

Burtonrider10022

Reaction score
[URL=http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40685&hl=]Tryon Seeks Petition Signatures to Stop Potential Delays in Implementation of Concealed Carry Law Provisions[/URL] said:
For Immediate Release
August 21, 2013

(815) 482-2855

CRYSTAL LAKE….. State Representative Mike Tryon (R-Crystal Lake) has posted an on-line petition at http://www.miketryon.org/petition_keep_concealed_carry_implementation_on_schedule which demands Illinois State Police compliance with the implementation schedule for the new concealed carry law in Illinois.

“The General Assembly approved the Firearm Concealed Carry Act on July 9, and written into that law is a mandate that within 60 days of that date, or no later than September 7, the Illinois State Police will make a list of training courses and approved instructors available to the public for the purpose of allowing prospective applicants for licenses to complete their 16 hours of required training,” said Tryon. “Legal counsel for the ISP is saying they have a different interpretation of the language of the law and feel they need only begin the vetting process for courses and instructors by that date.”

According to Tryon, representatives of the ISP served alongside Republicans and Democrats in the negotiations for the concealed carry bill and that the language is not ambiguous. “During those negotiations, the intent of the 60-day provision was very clear,” said Tryon. “I view this as a stall tactic on the part of the ISP and know that everyone who negotiated in good faith on that bill wants the implementation schedule to be followed.”

Tryon’s petition reads as follows: “The Second Amendment states “The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” In response to a federal court mandate, the General Assembly approved The Firearm Concealed Carry Act on July 9, 2013. Written into that law is a mandate that within 60 days of the July 9 effective date (no later than September 7, 2013), the Illinois State Police (ISP) shall make a list of training courses and approved instructors available to the public for the purpose of allowing prospective applicants for concealed carry licenses to complete the 16 hours of training required under the Act. We, the signers of this petition, demand that the ISP adhere to the mandated implementation schedule for Sections 75(a) and 80(a) of the Act, and that a list of training courses and approved instructors be made available to the public by the September 7 deadline. We further demand that the ISP proceed with all other implementation elements of this law without delay and in accordance with language set forth in the new law.”

“The concealed carry law was passed by overwhelming votes in the House and Senate, and now its time to implement that law,” Tryon said. “Further delay tactics will not be tolerated.”

Anyone surprised?

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
State Police really aren't the ones delaying it, it's democratic politicians and their budgets. They just don't have the manpower to get everything up in time. Much like FOID cards are now. For some people recently, it's taken upwards of 6 months to receive their FOID.

It's not like ISP are dragging their feet. If the state government would give them a bigger budget and let them hire more to get this implemented faster, everything would be fine. It's a tactic of dipshit Quinn and his administration. It's going to be a mess for a long time, and that's exactly what Quinn and Ill Democrats want.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
I read that the head of the ISP is a big anti-gun / anti-rights guy, so this is no surprise.
It will be delayed at every turn and every tactic will be used to stall the implementation. Nobody in this state is getting a CCW permit any time soon, if ever.

I see more litigation on the horizon.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Reaction score
I agree, they are going to delay it as long as possible.

On a side note, I saw a sticker on the window of a Verizon store today stating they do not allow concealed weapons, almost asked the manager what the fuck was up with that.

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Reaction score
ISP has the manpower already. They have isp troopers doing needless jobs in Springfield and get paid very well. Just like the rest of the state its piss poor management.

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
I agree, they are going to delay it as long as possible.

On a side note, I saw a sticker on the window of a Verizon store today stating they do not allow concealed weapons, almost asked the manager what the fuck was up with that.
Could stores even implement those policies if they go against state laws?

Burtonrider10022

Reaction score
Could stores even implement those policies if they go against state laws?
Stores are private property and can do what they want.
Correct. Once CCW is implemented any business will be able to restrict patrons from bringing weapons inside.

However, they will have to post a specific sign (6"x8"? 4"x8"? ) that is to-be-provided by the ISP (the design is being provided, the sign itself will probably cost a few bucks). The state-approved sign will also have to be posted within certain guidelines as to location near the door. I.e. they can't hide it at the bottom corner, it must be in an easily noticeable location so that a CCW holder doesn't accidentally walk into a misdemeanor.

The sign specifics clause means that any business that is NOT using an IL approved sign in an IL approved posted location is NOT a business you are forbidden to carry in. I.e., you are more than welcome to walk in to the Verizon store mentioned above.

And about the thread topic, NRA Representative Todd Vandermyde made a thread on IL Carry Friday with some updated info on the ISP and their progress:

[URL=http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40730&hl=]RTC Implementation Update[/URL] said:
Ok I’ve seen a bunch of rumor and such going around about implementation of concealed carry.

I spent 6 hours yesterday on the phone between the State Police, Governor’s office and Speakers General Counsel.

[...]

Understand that we are dealing with a law enforcement agency that does not want to be in the business of certifying civilians to carry guns.

[...]

The Speakers General Counsel is working with the State Police and we are told is very interested in seeing this come off on time.

[...]

Hopefully that last bit holds true and ISP does get their shit together and get this going quickly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom