• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Starts and shuts off. What's the deal?

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
I have been having this issue lately where I start the car for the first time in the day and it will start then die. I will turn the key, RPMs will shoot right up where they belong upon start up and soon as they go back down it will die. Lately, after second start up it will do the same thing. Soon as it fires up it will shut back off.

The way to keep it alive is to keep my foot on the throttle just enough to keep it at 1,000 RPM.... like a non choke carb... ehhhh!!!

This only happens when it's cold out and only when the car is first started for the day. When it's 70 outside no problem. If it's 20 outside and I am driving the car all day it's fine, but when it's first turned out this is an issue.

It's almost as if the car has no fuel. I took the car to a few auto part stores for testing and 2 outta 3 of them said my battery is fine. I am starting to doubt this. Last night I had the interior lights on for 10 minutes and the car wouldn't start... got a jump and it was fine.

All signs say it's the battery, but it's testing out fine.

Am I missing something or are the test results wrong? The battery is three years old. I will replace in with a NEW one in a week or so, but is there anything to look for right now?

Thanks!

BTW I don't think it's the battery because the car will still start when it's cold, just won't stay running unless I keep my foot on the throttle.

I am confused. That or it's the strangest case of a bad battery I have ever dealt with.

Sounds like what my car was doing when I put the motor back together. Turns out it was the vacuum line that goes right to the underneath of the throttle body. Of course, I was able to hear a massive vacuum leak so I knew that was the problem - it was just a matter of crawling around under the hood and finding the offending line, and hooking it back up. I'm guessing you aren't hearing a vacuum leak or you'd have mentioned it, right?

After that, Idunno, I would be guessing at a throttle position sensor, but that's a completely stupid guess. I'm sure someone more qualified exists here on this forum.........

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
no. it'd fire up, literally.

Pontiac_Grand_Prix_Fire.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info