HBO / MAX Starting Sopranos over for my yearly binge

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I didn't find much, if any, of the show unbelievable. My biggest issue in the beginning was that I felt like it was slow, and that the overarching story was way too slow. Eventually you begin to realize that every episode, or a span of a few episodes, is a mini story in itself which adds small pieces to the overarching story.

By the time I got to the end, I was sad that I knew it was about to be over. Best TV show ever IMO.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I ended up watching all of this last year. I like the show but God Damn is it overrated. You can tell that well written dramas like this didn't really exist before this, and a lot of it didn't age well. The 1st season its the most obvious.

I'm reasonably certain it's intentional but they go out of their way to make you not like any of the main characters. And not in a good way either.

My biggest complaint about the show though. 90%+ of the scenes that Tony is in he's FUCKING EATING. It's so God damn obnoxious. Hey let's have an extremely important plot developing and character building scene. Oh hey, let's have Tony eat a sandwich during this scene. Yes, before you swallow it, speak. Say your lines. Totally infuriating.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I ended up watching all of this last year. I like the show but God Damn is it overrated. You can tell that well written dramas like this didn't really exist before this, and a lot of it didn't age well. The 1st season its the most obvious.

I'm reasonably certain it's intentional but they go out of their way to make you not like any of the main characters. And not in a good way either.

My biggest complaint about the show though. 90%+ of the scenes that Tony is in he's FUCKING EATING. It's so God damn obnoxious. Hey let's have an extremely important plot developing and character building scene. Oh hey, let's have Tony eat a sandwich during this scene. Yes, before you swallow it, speak. Say your lines. Totally infuriating.
Yeah I tried to watch this and I didn’t get far. Super overrated. Like you said half the show is watching some fat fuck eating…no thanks

• Wow
Reactions: willsmysticcobra

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
It’s not even in the same universe as BB
Holy blast from the past. That post was from 4+ years ago. After seeing the Irishman movie I decided to give sopranos a try to keep the mafia theme going. Initially didn't think id like it because it was about a fake mafia in the 90's but I was wrong. Binge watched all 6 seasons in 1 month and its now by far my favorite tv series so far.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Where is DanJ DanJ on this one?!

Also the wife and I watched this and the movie last year. Its good, but I would say more for its time than anything. There are some pretty terrible story lines, but overall a lot of good ones. Overall it deserves its place in the short list for best shows, but I wouldn't say its THE best ever.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Wasn't there a different soprano's thread on here already?

I didn't have cable when this show aired, but my wife got me into watching it and now I've seen the series at least a dozen times over the years. It's just a good show to revisit, I personally don't feel it's aged too badly.

Oh and Adrianna was hot as hell in the show, but after seeing in her in other shows like SoA I'd pass trying to find content of her in today's age.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
1000002700.gif

Thread Info