3800 starting issue

alright now ive had my car in the shop a few times, each time for a different reason, this time my car wont start unless it is jumped off of the fuse box under the hood. off of the battery wont work. so i jumped it that way and left it running for about 20 minutes plus and drove it around for a while. came home and shut it off and tried to restart it and it was if it had never been charged at all. the battery was dead again. does anyone have an idea why this could have happened and how do i fix it?

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
alright now ive had my car in the shop a few times, each time for a different reason, this time my car wont start unless it is jumped off of the fuse box under the hood. off of the battery wont work. so i jumped it that way and left it running for about 20 minutes plus and drove it around for a while. came home and shut it off and tried to restart it and it was if it had never been charged at all. the battery was dead again. does anyone have an idea why this could have happened and how do i fix it?
[/b]

perhaps your battery is indeed dead, and wont take a charge?

also check the voltage coming back to the battery on the positive cable? at the alternator (would seem the car will run off the alternator, so that part should be fine, but the charge circuit back to the battery is separate)

thesexy99GT

Regular
Aug 9, 2008
i second toasty, check the return circuit with a voltmeter, and check the battery voltage with the car running and see if alternator voltage is present.
sounds to me like a dead battery that cannot accept the charge, not to mention the fact that trying to charge a dead battery on alternator power alone can be detrimental to your alternator's longevity. try trickle charging the battery, and if that doesn't work, sounds like you're in need of a new. although from the fact that you cannot jump the car from the batt. sounds like the plated in the battery are either coated beyond repair or cracked somehow...

how it happened is a mystery, but batteries do just die sometimes (like cats) and it doesn't always have to spur from another problem. so i'd suggest doing the tests if you can or just replacing the bastard if you cannot.

good luck

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• P
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list