Starlink

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I placed the order feb 18th for my boss's house in the UP and it's been crickets since.

this was their last email:

Starlink will begin offering service in your area beginning mid to late 2021. Orders will be fulfilled on a first-come, first-served basis. You will be notified via email prior to shipment, and you will be charged the remainder of your balance once your kit ships.

my order is going through today.

1627310017429.png

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Bummer. I keep think about getting this for my dad but that initial $500 buy-in is too steep. He pays $45/mo for shit DSL now, and I told him I'd cover half the difference of the $100/mo for the service (so basically $25/mo). But now they're talking about selling their place and moving to a more urban area, which looks like he'll be able to get fiber.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Lord Tin Foilhat Lord Tin Foilhat

New premium starlink plan for ya:

"The option promises to deliver speeds of between 150 and 500Mbps, an upgrade from the 50 to 250 Mbps advertised by the standard tier. Upload speeds are doubled and now reach 20 to 40Mbps. Latency, one of the major challenges for satellite internet, remains at an industry-leading 20 to 40 milliseconds, which isn’t too far off “terrestrial” broadband’s 12 ms to 37 ms range.

“Starlink Premium has more than double the antenna capability of Starlink, delivering faster internet speeds and higher throughput for the highest demand users, including businesses,” the company’s website reads.

While these speed boosts, which are enabled by a larger high-performance antenna, are significant, most customers are likely to be turned off by the high cost. The standard Starlink internet service costs $499 for the cat-attracting dish plus $99 a month for the subscription, whereas the new Premium package raises the hardware price to $2,500 and the subscription to $500 a month.

Along with faster upload and download speeds, the new Starlink tier will supposedly perform better in “extreme weather conditions,” and customers who shell out for the internet plan will receive 24/7 VIP support. "

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Lord Tin Foilhat Lord Tin Foilhat

New premium starlink plan for ya:

"The option promises to deliver speeds of between 150 and 500Mbps, an upgrade from the 50 to 250 Mbps advertised by the standard tier. Upload speeds are doubled and now reach 20 to 40Mbps. Latency, one of the major challenges for satellite internet, remains at an industry-leading 20 to 40 milliseconds, which isn’t too far off “terrestrial” broadband’s 12 ms to 37 ms range.

“Starlink Premium has more than double the antenna capability of Starlink, delivering faster internet speeds and higher throughput for the highest demand users, including businesses,” the company’s website reads.

While these speed boosts, which are enabled by a larger high-performance antenna, are significant, most customers are likely to be turned off by the high cost. The standard Starlink internet service costs $499 for the cat-attracting dish plus $99 a month for the subscription, whereas the new Premium package raises the hardware price to $2,500 and the subscription to $500 a month.

Along with faster upload and download speeds, the new Starlink tier will supposedly perform better in “extreme weather conditions,” and customers who shell out for the internet plan will receive 24/7 VIP support. "
$500/month is nuts

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I just read that SpaceX will lose 40 Starlink satalites they launched last week. Solar storms heated up the atmosphere enough that the air was denser. Causing the satellites not to be able to maneuver to their final orbiting positions. They won't say how much each one cost. But in 2019 they were "below a million dollars". So between their cost, the launch cost, and delays, I'm sure the loss is substantial.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
POS Fusion works great as a temporary mount...

IMG_1553.jpg

So far, it's really nice, no interruptions, speeds we never saw with the GeoStationary satellite shits (except from like 0200-0400) or with VZW hotspot/tether... even saw dishy turn its head a couple times. Latency is great. Will absolutely change how things go around here, can finally use the smart TVs and shit. Can now even consider a console given the monstrous downloads the games come with all the time, can purchase digital titles at all, etc... Will probably have to have it mounted up on the gable of the house which means I'm not doing it, so it'll be a bit until it's up permanently, but I am excite. I don't expect it to be perfect yet, but hopefully it's at least relatively ok at this point, reliability wise, given location.

I'm surprised it's functional this far down south already, ~40*48'N

Reactions: b00sted
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info